04 April, 2014

Friday Favourites - Brayer


When I was finishing that Hot, Awesome Mess I had the chance to use one of my favourite sewing room tools. It is called, as far as I know, a brayer.

Typically, a brayer is used in the print making process. It is a flat roller designed to apply consistent pressure across the surface - perfect when applying ink. But thanks to the awesomeness of my friend Jules, I am now obsessed with using a brayer when I improv piece.Jules was a volunteer in the Denyse Schmidt Improv class. Having already bonded over motherhood and BBQ she happily shared with me this handy tool as we went through the day.

It works as a mini iron, pressing short seams right at the table. Now, it isn't as good as an iron, but it is infinitely better than finger pressing. It provides a crisp edge and allows you to continue to sit and sew for a while before getting to the hot iron.

And, because Jules is pretty great, she sent me one all the way from Australia because I couldn't find one here. If you ever see one I strongly recommend picking up one, or two.


10 comments:

elle said...

THIS is a good idea! Now to find the little guys. ;^)

mjb said...

I saw it referred to as a seam roller and recommended for paper piecing.

Jenny said...

try looking for it with wallpapering supplies.

stitchinpenny said...

Dick Blick has them - look under either roller or Brayer, but I looked on Amazon and they pooped up there.

Nicole said...

Leather working shops have all sorts of cool tools - I'll look there for one.

Anonymous said...


Am I the only one who sees a wallpaper tool? Looks the roller I used to give the final press to seams when used to hang wallpaper......



carolyndawn said...

Mmmmmm. I have one of those somewhere, and did not know what I had purchased it for.

LauraC said...

I use my pastry roller from Pampered Chef since I never seem to make pastries.

erica e said...

I love this tip!

patty a. said...

I have a vintage one of these and I use it for the seams of wallpaper, but now you have given me a new use for it!