03 June, 2010

Five - The Pattern


Here is a fun, quick, and free pattern for you. This the Five quilt. It finishes at 36" square.

Materials Required

Two 1/2 yard/meters of high contrast fabric for top and bottom band
Two 1/3 yard/meters of high contrast fabric for middle band and accent
1/4 yard/meter binding fabric
1 1/8 yard/meter backing fabric
1 1/8 yard/meter batting
10 inch square of lightweight fusible
Coordinating Thread

- You will have a few leftovers, but we all love our scraps, right?
- Ensure that the fabric you use for the applique and the accent really stands out from the other three fabrics, both in value and colour.

Cutting Your Fabric 

Top Band and Bottom Band
One 24.5" x 8.5" strip each
Two 10.5" x 4.5" strip each
One 36.5" x 4.5" strip each

Middle Band
One 24.5" x 8.5" strip
Two 8.5" x 4.5" strip

Accent
One 10" square
Two 24.5" x 2.5" strip
Two 28.5" x 2.5" strip

-Cut the 10" square first, then cut your strips.

Assembly

1. Center portion - sew together the three 24.5" x 8.5" strips in your desired order. Press.

2. Outside pieced border - sew together two sets of the 4.5" inch strips. Keep the following order: top (10.5") - middle (8.5") - bottom (10.5"). Press.

3. Sew the 24.5" inch accent piece to the sides of the center portion. Press. Sew the 28.5" accent pieces to the top and bottom of the center portion. Press.

4. Sew the pieced border to the center/accent portion. Ensure that you line up the seam lines from the center portion to those of the border as best you can. Press.

5. Sew the top and bottom border pieces on. Press.

6. Iron your fusible to the 10 inch square piece of accent fabric. Remembering that your image will be reversed if you draw the desired shape on the fusible, trace and cut out the number or letter you desire.  Try a favourite number or a special initial. 

7. Float the number/letter a few inches from the accent border in the bottom right or left of the center portion. Be conscious of the seam between the bottom and middle background. You don't want to have a definite line right against the seam. Fuse the number/letter in place. Secure with a satin stitch around the number/letter or wait and secure with your quilting.

8. Baste your quilt and finish it as desired. I chose the loopy quilting in coordinating thread to contrast the sharp linear design.


10. Cut and attach your binding strips with your preferred method. Here's mine.

Et voila!

14 comments:

badlandsquilts said...

LOVE the quilting!

Kris said...

That is a very clever way to put that together! I'll definitely need to keep that one in mind for a quick project

Amy Sp said...

The loopy quilting looks wonderful! A great birthday gift idea, thanks.

elle said...

You have done an excellent job in every respect. Luv it!

Vals Quilting said...

this is a cute little awesome project - Why 5? My 5 year old nephew would love this - might have to try this one out!! Thanks
Valerie
http://www.PastimesOnline.ca/Vals-Quilting/

Katie B said...

So cute! I need to give this a try.

felicity said...

Love it. Thanks for the pattern/tute!

Tonya said...

This is so cute! Thanks for the project instructions.

Amanda Jean said...

this is such a fun pattern....thanks for sharing it! i could see whipping up something like this for my little guy and putting a P on it. fitting, since that's what we call him anyway. he would LOVE it.

Jess said...

Love!

Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog for a few months, clicking links to older posts randomly. I have been enjoying it all, and thinking about signing up for a course with you here in town.

What I like best about this one, is how you 'salvaged' the seam in the blue patterned fabric. When I saw the first picture I thought "I'd never piece that without matching the pattern." But in the final project it is covered by the applique and not noticeable at all. It looks wonderful. And because it goes together quickly, I might just take that idea and make each of the four grandchild little cuddle blankets with their age on them. Cute.

Janice Aliena said...

Hello friends, my name's Andrea Maria, from Stockholm - Sweden. I read good comments about your good job, I'm very happy for you all as i have found same happiness in myself, just Few weeks ago i read a good testimony on similar blog website at my work office, a comment posted by a lady Jennifer from Madrid she said a Great man from Africana nation called Dr.Oduduwa was able to bring back her ex boyfriend after 12 months of break-up. i was motivated, I gave it a try to contact same Oduduwa via: (dr.oduduwaspellcaster@gmail. com) for urgent solution to restore back my marriage for about 2 years i have been separated. Just immediately i send email message to Dr.Oduduwa, I received immediate reply, he told me that he can help me, he said my case is too simple for him to handle because he have solve similar cases over the years. I gave it a try because i have nothing to loose from trying. he demanded for photo images and i bought candles and other spell materials required for a successful result. Two days ago which was Tuesday morning after love spell portion activated, i got a phone call from my ex husband man, he talked with me so nicely and apologize for breaking up with me, he explained to me that he was feeling very sorry, i forgive him and thank him for coming back. it was shocking and a big surprise to me, so quick i witness instant love spell result at work in my life up till today, we are much more in love than ever before we came to an agreement to start our family planning all over again. i never could imagine it will work so quickly until yesterday morning my husband man came back home to meet me and our two lovely kids we are all happy as one family.
Dr.Oduduwa has great magic spell powers to resolve the following:...
1) love spell portion to win games
2) Restore back Lost Love Spells
3) Divorce Spells
4) Spouses' trust spouses
5) binding spelling to living together forever
6) Breakup Spells (terminate relationship)
7) Magic roots and herbs for strong errection and long lasting sex
8.) Magic spell promoted in your Job office
9) Magic spell to have a baby. (women fruit of womb)
Note: I was desperate to get back my ex love man, it work more faster only desperate ones seeking for urgent result to restore back true love and peace in marriage relationship to contact Dr.Oduduwa immediately. WhatsApp mobile: +79268011965

Ben said...

Wow is good to be back with my ex again, thank you Dr Ekpen for the help, I just want to let you know that is reading this post in case you are having issues with your lover and is leading to divorce and you don’t want the divorce, Dr Ekpen is the answer to your problem. Or you are already divorce and you still want him/her contact Dr Ekpen the spell caster now on (ekpentemple@gmail.com) and you will be clad you did





































joan hardy said...

Hi viewers, I'm posting this Because i found lots of people having marriage problems which I also experienced. I recently found help from a man called Dr. Oselumen he did a great job that made my man fell back in love with me again after ten months of separation. I want you to know there are fake online spell Dr .s if someone out there needs help, can email this great spell caster, droselumen@gmail. com check or connect with him on WhatsApp +2348054265852. He will give you the best result. 
CONTACT HIM FOR ANY KIND OF HELP,MONEY SPELL,LOTTERY SPELL,PREGNANCY SPELL,DIVORCE SPELL,SPELL TO STOP COURT CASE AND WIN ANY COURT PROBLEM,DEATH SPELL,BUSINESS SPELL,HEALING SPELL,SPELL TO REMOVE BLACK MAGIC OUT FROM YOUR LIFE,FAMILY AND MARRIAGE PROBLEM.