21 September, 2010

Straight

It's been a long time since I did straight lines. While I adore symmetry and order in my life, my quilting tends to be a bit more random, chaotic, and improvised. And frankly, a bit lazy. I will always try to choose the easy way out of a situation, including quilting.

This is changing though. On the Bookcase quilt I chose a more time-consuming pattern to great effect. And when it came time to start quilting my Low-Volume Circles (I still need a better name than that) I had only one vision for the quilting. It involves a lot, a lot of straight lines. Oh, and some hand quilting. Definitely not the easy way out.

This is the start of the straight lines, as seen from the back. I'm hoping to have this one ready for the Fall Blogger's Quilt Festival, if not sooner. Watch for it!

8 comments:

zarina said...

It was my first time straight line-ing on my trio baby quilts. Am loving it since it lessens the stress on my arms. Only issue is that I have lots of puckering while quilting (that could be I sandwiched the quilt immediately rolling the batting from the roll instead of letting it rest).

zarina said...

It was my first time straight line-ing on my trio baby quilts. Am loving it since it lessens the stress on my arms. Only issue is that I have lots of puckering while quilting (that could be I sandwiched the quilt immediately rolling the batting from the roll instead of letting it rest).

Pat Sloan said...

i can not sew a straight line unless i concentrate really hard... really really.... good luck!

Esch House Quilts said...

I love straight line quilting - good luck! Those little birdies are too cute!

Lee D said...

a great start. are you going to creative Stitches show on Friday?

Unknown said...

Well in my quilting world, there is only straight lines. I haven't even tried anything else!
Glad I can keep it old school over here ;)

Love that bluebird fabric, too.

Jane said...

Love your straight lines! Can you tell me who makes the birdie fabric?
THank you!
Jane

Amanda Jean said...

How about you name your quilt subtle circles? Says the girl who can't even name her own quilts.