21 February, 2012

Kananaskis

Kananaskis
Roughly 38'' by 50''

Inspired entirely by the rivers flowing through the Rocky Mountains near my home. And by the activities like camping and paddling that happen on or near those rivers.

This is a baby quilt for my still youngest nephew, the second son of my brother- and sister-in-law. He is a paddler and she is the driver for the paddlers. They've spent a big chunk of their adult lives by the Kananaskis. I was quite stuck on what to make for a baby quilt for this nephew, after the precedent I'd set with Your Parents Are Cool. Then we were all camping together this summer, on the shore of another river. Inspiration hit and this quilt was born.


Honestly, this was a pretty easy quilt to make - in my head. Put the strips together for the back, slice, and resew with the turquoise strips. Yeah, no. But I made it work in a way I'm really happy with. I added a contrasting back, quilted it with random straight lines in turquoise. Not too much quilting so it would stay soft and cuddly. Perfect for babies or a stuffed moose.

And then attempt to photograph it with four kids around...

Ah, that's better. With the recipient, my adorable nephew.

20 comments:

Suzanne said...

Beautiful quilting to compliment the design of the piecing. I bet that was a tough design to execute but kudos for making it happen.

Nicole said...

I like that contrast of blues! And it looks like your nephew approves.

Esch House Quilts said...

A wonderful quilt that sounds perfect for the family!

Yeah, I would have forgotten about those pesky seam allowances too.

Michelle in Saskatoon said...

I like this quilt a lot,, and the little baby is awfully cute too,

Emily said...

Cool quilt! Well done!

Andrea said...

I like the colours you chose, they really do reflect calmness and Kananaskis.

Live a Colorful Life said...

That recipient is pretty adorable!

Kate said...

Great quilt - love the contrast turquoise.

Monika Kinner-Whalen (MySweetPrairie) said...

hehe : )
Hey I saw a book review in QC magazine about your publication! Awesome ; )

~Monika

Samantha said...

It's stunning. Love the elegant simplicity. And your nephew is pretty darn adorable himself...

Jan said...

Looks so cool - esp with them there bebes on it!!!

CitricSugar said...

It's gorgeous. I think it perfectly captures the place (one of my favourite on earth).

Lucky nephew (who's pretty darn cute!)

Amanda Jean said...

LOVE!!!! It's simply beautiful!

I'm also chuckling because it's not too far off from the "slop and chop" sketches we did about a year ago. Remember those?!?!

Lesly said...

Great colour choices here! Love it!

goletagirlwendy said...

Beautiful quilt!!!

Diane said...

Beautiful! I love the way you interpret your inspirations.

Mike Pearson said...

Love the colors!!! Straight line patterns fascinate me on quilts :) Good job!!!

Kristen said...

Very cool quilt! I love the bold blues through those beautiful grays you picked!

Kathy said...

It looks amazing! A baby quilt that the kid won't outgrow. Beautiful work!

Heather said...

So sweet! He is a cutie, and looks like he loves his quilt! It's beautiful! :o)