14 July, 2011

Making It Work

When it came time to put together the Triangle Quilt I had some work to do. When I started out in the bee I wasn't overly particular about finished block size, just asking for a variation of 12.5'' to 18.5''. And in sending out a Canadian fat quarter of the background fabric it isn't always easy to get a 18.5'' block. It would have been impossible with a US fat quarter. That meant that I got blocks 12.5'' square, 18.5'' square, and 12.5'' by 18.5''.

What to do?

My initial plan was to mix it all up and assemble the top like a puzzle, adding extra blocks or chunks as needed. It is a part of the process I actually relish, the puzzle challenge.

When I decided to turn these blocks into a bed quilt, however, I needed something a bit more straightforward. I needed blocks, all the same size. If this quilt was going to get done it needed an easier puzzle.

That meant that I had to turn the smaller blocks into 18.5'' square blocks. A run through my stash revealed that I was no longer in possession of some of the fabrics I'd used. It confused me, because I could have sworn I kept aside some extra fat quarters for this precise purpose. Oh well, nothing a little shopping (at home and at the store) couldn't solve.

Of course I could not find the fabrics I'd used, save for one. No problem. The backgrounds were already a mix of yellows, adding a few more wasn't going to be the end of the world. I truly embrace the improvisational spirit. Tim Gunn would be proud.

It seems fairly standard to add sashing to bee blocks. For one, this increases the size of your quilt without having to make more blocks. Secondly, it is a good way to even out the size of what might be slightly different sized blocks. Even with a good pressing, one person's 12.5'' square can be slightly different than another person's. Adding to each block is an alternative to adding sashing.

Besides, you know how I feel about sashing.

This is what I did. (Using 2 blocks as an example.)







So I added on to about 8 blocks. I also made another 12 blocks from my yellows and leftover geese fabric. I laid out the top.

Then I found the yellow fabric I'd set aside.

14 comments:

Amy said...

LOL. Well, it's a good thing you embraced that improvisational spirit! I certainly hope you aren't going to rip any of it back out. But that is so frustrating!!

Terriaw said...

I love how you made it work with these blocks! And I love the look of these blocks. Didn't you want to scream when you found that yellow fabric! Or get rid of it before it became your nemesis!

~Michelle~ said...

HA, I literally LOL'd when I read the last sentence. Murphy's Law! But of course, you have quite the stash of yellow fabrics, so I like your work-around. And you have me wondering how I managed to squeeze out an 18" block for you... ambition & time, I suppose.

Kris said...

You've got me smiling. Great story telling, but I also love how you "mad it work." Tim Gunn would be proud.

elle said...

ah, Cheryl. Of Course. Me? I'd have a large bruise smack in the centre of my forehead. lol

Esch House Quilts said...

I know you put that fabric somewhere really good and safe so you wouldn't lose it, right? :)

Jean said...

A great way to make the blocks play nicely together! I agree, swap blocks almost always need to be sashed in some way. And aren't you glad that you have a nice piece of yellow left for another project?

Leanne said...

Great idea and the blocks look great! I knew you would find the fabric, seems to be the way these things work.

Christina said...

Lol - isn't that always how it goes!? I love the blocks! I've had it in the back of my mind for awhile to do a random triangle/flying geese quilt and this definitely makes me want to give it a go!

felicity said...

Ha! Classic. I love the three-sided sashing idea: it's a much more manageable puzzle that way.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I so love the different sizes of the flying geese, and the three-sided sashing is a great idea! The last sentence DID make me laugh...

amandajean said...

Of course you found the fabric after you added to the blocks. That's the way it always goes. This is such a great idea for a bee month. And I love your color scheme.

Suzanne said...

I'm impressed with how you solved the size challenge. I think I love any solution that involves a necessary trip to a fabric store. The fact that you found that other yellow means there might be enough to make throw pillows. :-)

Cynthia said...

Love it! I might have to give geese another chance!! Your layout is wonderful.