01 March, 2010

Inspired By...


Why does it feel wrong that I'm inspired by stories of slavery? These are horrific stories of the cruelty of man. But they are also amazing stories of human spirit, triumph, and even kindness. And that's what gets me.

So, after reading The Book of Negroes/Someone Knows My Name I had a design in my head. I wanted to acknowledge the aspect of the story where the main character works on an indigo plantation and discusses the awful clothing made out of osnaburg. But then there are the snippets of sunshine as her station improves and she has access to some money and bright cloth.

Oh, the ideas I have for this!

Fabrics ordered from Reproduction Fabrics and Big Horn Quilts.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

mmmm I love indigo and white. always have, always will.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I can't wait to see your idea come to life.

Lee D said...

Good idea. I loved that book, absolutely amazing. You must read The Help next another good one!

elle said...

This is looking mighty good, Cheryl. Can't wait to see how it evolves. Luv the colours and textures.

KatieQ said...

I love your indigo fabrics. It's always surprising where we will find inspiration. Sounds like it's going to be an exciting quilt.

Millie said...

I love the indigo and white fabrics. What do they call them again...Swetsy fabrics or something like that? I have a pile of red and white fabrics too.