20 November, 2014

Caterpillar Top - From A Month of Sundays


My husband called it Caterpillar so that name will kind of stick. But I also think of it as zippers or confetti strips. The original quilt, published in A Month of Sundays, was called Sherbet. In that case it was for the colours of the quilt.

Originally, I started this quilt simply to be step outs for a class I was teaching. It isn't often that I cut out the whole quilt before sewing a stitch, but with an already published pattern that is certainly the thing to do! So I demoed the piecing and assembly back in June, then it sat.

A few months ago my SIL asked if I would make quilts for her boys, my nephews. Of course the answer was yes. So we let the 5 year old pick out fabric, I grabbed what I had from their baby quilts, and we talked about patterns. When I started this particular quilt I wasn't intending it for any purpose other than a class sample. In the end though - and not just because I'm a multitasker - I thought it was perfect for my nephew.

I made two changes from the original pattern. One small, one significant. The small one was cutting the side borders narrower. In the original pattern they are 12 1/2'' wide. Because this was intended for a single bed I trimmed them down to 6 1/2''. That means the quilt finishes out at 66 1/2'' wide instead of 78 1/2''.

The big change was in the colour scheme for the quilt. Coming from A Month of Sundays the original quilt was full of low volume fabrics on a creamy, solid background. It shows the success of using scale of print to get value differences even with low volume fabrics. In this version I chose a coloured background. It's a Kona, but I'm not sure which colour (my colour card has gone missing). When I bought it I thought I would use some creamy prints, perhaps like these ones. In the end, the whole thing begged to be nice and bright. Now that's a way to turn up the volume!


7 comments:

Patti said...

Bright and cheerful! Particularly so against the monotone of snow we have. Turned out wonderfully.

Nell's Quilts said...

What a great quilt for a little one. Love the bright colour against the blue.

felicity said...

I love an unexpectedly bright background. So fun.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Beautiful color scheme. You have impressed me since the first time I saw your quilts and your skill continues to impress me with each passing year.

Wonderbunnie Designs said...

Nice and bright! I see zippers when I look at it...(not too fond of buggies lol)

Charlotta said...

Very lovely and fun quilt. The kind i believe i can probably pretty much even make without the pattern. And i might just try one of there days. Im actually trying not to buy a whole lot of patterns. I already have so many, and am constantly getting more in the magazines and books i get. Plus, i really can just make up stuff.

Anonymous said...

Topic: Recovery scammed Funds / Cryptocurrency / Binary / Forex / Recovery of Stolen Bitcoin

Message

First of all, there is no shame in being the victim of one of these sophisticated and predatory operations. By coming forward you may be able to recover some or all of your lost funds and prevent the scammers from targeting others.

Secondly contact this Genius Recovery Advocate: contact@wizardcharlesgrouphackers.com or wizardcharlesgrouphackers@gmail.com, WhatsApp +31 6 84990027

They have an excellent track record in holding scammers to account including having assets frozen, even where companies have been set up using fake information.

Their approach is based on close collaboration with forensic accountants and other experts, prosecution agencies (both domestic and international) to trace and recover stolen assets.

Don’t let scammers get away with your hard earned money, look for possible ways to recover your stolen funds.

To recover your stolen cryptocurrency and funds, contact: contact@wizardcharlesgrouphackers.com or wizardcharlesgrouphackers@gmail.com, WhatsApp +31 6 84990027

website : https://wizardcharlesgrouphackers.com/.n/

you will never regret what you did