05 February, 2013

Peace


Peace.

Both a complex and simple thing. We all know we need it and it is about the hardest thing to create.

As a quilter, a creative soul, I find peace when I see, cut, play, sew, and even fold my fabric. I get inspired by the creations of the designers or other quilters. And when I get those moments - whether they are stolen in the early mornings, between naps and loads of laundry or I am luxuriating in an entire morning of hot tea and a pile of fabric - I find my peace.

Sure, there are many among us who love and adore solid fabrics and revel in the quiet energy they reveal in a quilt. I am not one of them. I love exploring the patterns and concepts that designers put out there. I love playing with the patterns, mixing it up and seeing who plays nicely together. I like creating order from that potential playground catastrophe.

there is peace in pattern


My jumping point for the fabric selection, and the inspiration for this piece definitely comes from this stack of Architextures from Carolyn Friedlander and a strong compulsion to create.

Free pieced letters, a la Unruly Quilter. Slabs upon slabs as we outline in Sunday Morning Quilts. A design wall to bring it together.

And there was peace.

13 comments:

Suzanne said...

I concur! Thanks for sending me to see Tonya. I enjoyed my trip over there.

Lee D said...

Great quilt. It will look great hanging in the studio. Love Tonya's work too.

Andrea said...

It looks beautiful. And I love how you did it low volume as well...makes the mood of the quilt even more peaceful.

Leanne said...

That is so fun, I love the way you have used the values and balanced some of the stronger patterns.

Esch House Quilts said...

A wonderful message and fantastic job you've done in the quilt itself! Love those little bits of Bella trees :)

I have been doing a lot of work in solids over the past few years and I'm trying to add back more print fabrics. There are plenty of great ones out there to help me :)

Carolyn said...

wow, just lovely and absolutely peaceful! just love it.

Maja said...

Thanks!
You put the finger on the right spot!

cauchy09 said...

Yes, oh yes. Such a lovely piece. And indeed, I've soothed away many a stressful moment by fondling and admiring calicoes.

Victoria said...

Even though I work mostly in solids, I agree with you as well. I feel so peaceful when I look at a scrappy quilt made with lots of various patterns and prints. Very calming moving my eye here and there, gazing at each piece and color. Great post and super fun patchwork.

janequiltsslowly said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing.

elizabeth said...

I love it... i would love it hanging in my sewing center!! :)

Blair said...

So wonderful!!

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is a wonderful quilt, Cheryl! I love the message. Lately I have been one of those people who finds piece in solids, but playing with patterns still holds a special place in my heart.