18 November, 2012

The Apple Lover's Cookbook (Weekend Reads)


When my oldest daughter decides she likes something she develops obsessions. Not fads, but all-out her world revolves around them fixations on the topic. Like stripes, learning about the human anatomy (the insides, folks), tigers (see stripes obsession), and now, Bigfoot and apples.

Oh, the apples. I've endured tears when I wouldn't buy them over the summer in favour of peaches and sweet melons. She nearly lost her mind when her first teeth started losing their grip in her mouth and she thought she would never bite into an apple again. When she sees the apple stand at the market she pretty much acts like a lunatic, or ravenous dog, literally drooling over the apples.

Weird kid.

So when I saw The Apple Lover's Cookbook by Amy Traverso a while back I knew I had to get it for her. We've pored over the text, learning about the amazing variety of apples out there. We dream about apples our Canadian Prairies will never see. And she picks out recipes for me to try. So far we've tried Apple Brownies, this Pork and Apple Pie with Cheddar Sage Crust, and the Classic Applesauce for the baby. And there are dozens more on the list for getting us through an apple obsessed winter.

I do like this book for a few reasons. One, for all the descriptions of the apples. So many varieties I've never even heard of, and not a Red Delicious in the bunch! Two, the recipes run the gamut from apple pie to apple gingersnap ice cream, from Welsh Rarebit to cocktails. I feel like I could cook a recipe from this book at least once a week and live in an apple scented heaven all winter.

Finally, the writing in this book is engaging, entertaining, and informative.  Yes, I read cookbooks. And bad writing, or none at all, does not grab me. The tone of the writer's voice is crisp, sweet, and refreshing, not unlike an apple.

Now, to find me a tree, a quilt, and a cup of hot apple cider to warm the rest of my weekend.

11 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm also quite partial to apple recipies, so I'll definitely be looking for this book, thanks for the recommendation.
Here's an apple recipe we're doing at my house this week:
Squash soup with apple and smoked cheddar (btw, we use twice as many apples)

Josie McRazie said...

My favorite is a great Johnny Appleseed cake! Crazy yummm! Warning...do not make if you don't have a powerful mixer! Lol my mixer is cheap and I require a second set of hands because the thick batter makes my mixer jump off my table! Lol

Lee D said...

I shouldn't read your blog so late at nite, now I am hungry! Sounds like a wonderful recipe.

Lee D said...

I shouldn't read your blog so late at nite, now I am hungry! Sounds like a wonderful recipe.

Lisa said...

I totally understand this - I LOVE apples (MacIntosh being my all time favourite) and will be in despair if I NEED to eat one and we have run out!!! I must look for this book.

Beulah said...

:)
My daughter and I read cookbooks...as in read like a novel...sharing the juicy parts by reading outloud...which often ends in rolls of belly laughter! The apple cookbook does look yummy!

Amanda Jean said...

I loved everything about this post! I don't think reading cookbooks is weird at all. If the tone is right, it can be very entertaining and engaging.

Red delicious apples are something else....arent they?

Your pie looks pretty fancy, by the way!

Carla said...

That pie is fantastic! Yum!

Anonymous said...

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers


[url=http://cheapnfljerseys168.web1337.net/]Cheap NFL Jerseys[/url]



[url=http://jordansoutletgs.devhub.com/]jordans for cheap[/url]

Anonymous said...

When we glance at the concept of the phrase love, not just in relation to its an enchanting partnership utilizing another, nevertheless being a sensation that's engendered when you've got miltchmonkey a much better marriage yourself too ( space ) and even for a a feeling of bigger unity household or humanity ( blank ) therefore it becomes much more superior that each everyone wants to have is certainly like.

Anonymous said...

My brother recommended I would possibly like this web site.
He was once entirely right. This submit truly
made my day. You can not imagine just how much time I had
spent for this info! Thanks!
Review my homepage - how to get rid of static cling