26 October, 2011

Scrap Splatter Done

Scrap Splatter 2011
30'' by 30''

There is no other name for it.

I did think about, quite literally splattering the little squares across the quilt top, much like my little one did across the dining room table. Then I sat down to sketch. And my girls sat down with me. Instead of family portraits The Monster asked if she could sketch quilts too. Together, her and I came up with this design.


In the interest of the challenge I used the Kona white I had, added a few other scraps (in solids only), and used a batting scrap. It's a poly blend batting, not my favourite, but it was what I had around in the right size. Because I like to be different I did the quilting in turquoise, not white. Goes well with the binding, doesn't it?

Soon enough it will become a little playmat for the neighbour's brand new baby. If it doesn't get stolen by a certain baby loving child of mine.

13 comments:

KristyLou said...

I love that quilting!

Melissa said...

Looks great! I used a similar style quilting pattern last week :) I kept thinking about etch-a-sketch while I was quilting like that :)

Tanya said...

I love the turquoise thread! How big is the quilt? Nicely done, and I love your new blog header :)

Josie McRazie said...

This quilt reminds me of the theme song for 'Weeds'! Have you heard it... little boxes on a hill side little boxes amde of ticky-tacky! Not sure why but that just poped into my head!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Very cool design, Cheryl! And great quilting! It's so interesting to see what different people will do with the same challenge parameters. Mine looks completely different from yours.

What Comes Next? said...

Very cute - I think there's another quilt designer in your house!

Wonky Girl said...

Cute quilt and great idea to use the blue thread. Your quilting pattern is great too ;)

stephmabry said...

I love the quilting, both the color and the design! I'm pretty new at making quilts, still, and I've decided I really like using contrasting colors for the quilting since my tops are still relatively simple. :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

Great name for this quilt. I really like the design!

QuiltNut Creations said...

super cute! love the turquoise thread

Unknown said...

Swooning over this quilt...as I do with all of your quilts. Amazing

Beth@seasonsofhome said...

I love it and how fun to be able to involve your daughter.

Amanda Jean said...

it looks fantastic. i'm glad you put the sizes on the post. it looks like it could come in at 15" x 15" if you didn't know better. that would make those scraps pretty darn small.

love your creative layout and your awesome quilting. (in gorgeously colored thread!) it's good all around.