23 August, 2011

Girls' Room - Before

Last week I had the most awesome pleasure of a week to myself at home. No kids, and mostly, no husband. I think it might have been the best week of my life. Well, at least of the last few years. We sent the kids to Camp Baba/JoJo/Grandma - our family out of town. Hubby was working, and I stayed home.

I quilted, I read, I worked a little, I cleaned up my house. It was all done at a leisurely pace and with very little stress. I ate nachos for dinner and went for long bike rides because I didn't have to report back to anyone. I mentioned that it was glorious, didn't I?

One of the things I did do that certainly felt like work, but was utterly necessary, was clean out and redo the girls' room. It was chaotic and crowded in there. And with only a two bedroom house and a husband who works at home it was high time I got it organized so the girls and I could actually function in there if Hubby is home working.

Our house is only two bedrooms and a few years ago we switched and gave the girls the bigger room. This means all their toys and activities can be in their room, instead of taking over the house. And that way my crap can take over the house instead! But the room was messy and full of stuff no one was using anymore. So, in between my little breaks of personal creativity and relaxation, I tackled the room.

This week I'll share the before pictures. Next week, after I finish hanging pictures, I'll share the after pictures.
Christmas decorations still on the wall, an old mattress for guests/trampoline, and crap everywhere!

Two dressers, yet clothes piled everywhere. This bookshelf creating a hallway and blocking off the room.


The bookshelf - the closest bit of order in the before pictures.

A dresser storing fabric, some of my clothes, the Monster's clothes, and dress-up stuff. The diaper genie still there when diapers disappeared from our lives 3 months ago.

The dresser I grabbed from my Mom's basement (minus the legs) to refinish for the girls. It might have been my brother's when he was a kid. It sat next to the deep freeze, filled with fabric scraps from home ec and family sewing projects in the 80s, as well as some baby clothes of my Mom's and some Ukrainian embroidery.

I'm pretty sure I drew on this as a kid. No one remembers, but it is most likely that I, the biggest brat in the family, did it.

Next week, the afters. Just wait! I can tell you that the girls love it and so do I.

12 comments:

Cristin said...

OH man I'm so jealous you had an entire week to YOURSELF!!!! I'd kill for that :-)
I look forward to seeing the finished girls room! I know it will be fabulous!

elle said...

I remember! That room. I remember switching bedrooms. I remember the time hubby and kids went away and I did the kitchen over. I remember lime green. VBSigh GOOD for you!

Mary said...

Always glad to see that other children live like mine did! I am sure you needed the whole week. And how wonderful to have the time to do it your way. Looking forward to the after pictures.

Suzanne said...

I don't know what I'd do with myself home alone for a week. I mean, what wouldn't I do? It sounds like you had a great balance struck between fun and accomplishment.

Lisa said...

Wow. Just recently I said to my husband "the biggest gift anyone could give me right now would be an afternoon alone" never mind a week! Sounds like a real soul/body/mind refresher to me. Sometimes the demands of little people really take their toll. Then the challenge is to remember that these are all phases, just enjoy, and don't always wish for the next phase to happen. (Preaching to myself here)

Live a Colorful Life said...

Haha! Cheryl, the first time I read this I thought you meant the DEEP FREEZE was filled with fabric scraps. I laughed out loud. And then re-read it. You meant the dresser NEXT to the deep freeze, right? Or maybe you DID mean the deep freeze...clarify please. :)Anyway, looking forward to the "after"!

Esch House Quilts said...

A week alone! I can hardly imagine such bliss!

Anonymous said...

my dream vacation is 2 weeks at home all alone!

cleaning, sewing late into the night and beer.

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Can't wait to see it! How fun - no one to mess up or take things from the throw pile!

Christina Lane | The Sometimes Crafter said...

I can't wait to see the afters. So do the girls just share a bed right now? That would sure save on space! I think if I had to I could give up the bigger room for my kids, because really, all you need to do in a bedroom is sleep. I always thought it was funny when buyers would stress over the master bedroom size...they had a whole house for all of their stuff, the room really only needed to hold the bed and clothes. :)

CC said...

Wow, good for you. I'm with lisa - at this stage I'd settle for just an afternoon to myself just to do "nothing" or whatever I like. I might need to make it happen. And soon.

I love a good " before and after" so I look forward to seeing what you did with the room.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Cool Beans, Cheryl, with anticipation I await the reveal...


wv reitype those who shop at the mountaineering store