03 May, 2011

Yee-Haw

My weekend was a country song. I'm no poet, nor a songwriter, but the events and emotions of the weekend would really make a good country song.

After a stop at a doughnut shop and a ride on the Prairie highway in a 1 ton dually I found out I need surgery. I know that, have known it since I wrecked my knees last year, but the surgeon is finally willing to schedule the first one.

We broke out the chainsaw to remove some trees at my Mom's place. Many have needed to go for years and my Dad was quite hung up on getting it done. So Hubby brought up his chainsaw and the family gathered for a heck of a lot of tree chopping.

My sister turned 40! We celebrated by chopping down trees with a chainsaw. And we gave her the quilt that we worked on in secret (more on that quilt another day).


There is a new baby in the family. A gorgeous, happy little baby boy to cuddle, tease, and laugh with. He is little brother to Hubby's little brother's first son. Cuddling him was about the most perfect thing in the world for me this weekend.


My dog died. Buster aka Bustamonte aka Damn Black Dog never woke up on Saturday morning. The big galoot was happy and playing with the kids on Friday, chillin' at my feet at the end of the night. He was healthy, as far as we knew, and not that old. And Saturday morning he was gone, having died in the night at the foot of the bed where my Dad used to sleep.

We toasted the Damn Black Dog/drowned our sorrows at a bar called The Beer Hunter. 'Nuff said.

Then there was that whole killing the big terrorist thing, but I had nothing to do with that.

Surgeons, chainsaws, births and birthdays, secret US military missions, and a dead dog. Yup, that's a country song for sure.

19 comments:

Rossie said...

ay carumba. may you live in interesting times and be forced to write country songs about them. at least there was beer and a baby.

Lisa said...

Oh My! What a busy life you have! There is nothing in the world like snuggling a new baby to make you forget everything else. How wonderful! My mom always says life can turn on a dime, so enjoy what is going on right now. Seems like you have this one down pat.

Adele said...

Wow you do have alot going on .... snuggling with the Baby would have been the most gratifying for me...or maybe the drowning of sorrows at the "Beer Hunter". Both good choices based on all that you have had going on....

Here's to hoping for peace in your life soon ! CHEERS !

Lee D said...

RIP damn black dog! all the best to you and these troubling days, my they only get better!!

jess said...

I'm so glad you have some good intermingled in there... reminds us of why we're here.
But still, ::hugs:: !!! And I can't wait to see more about the quilt!

~Michelle~ said...

so...title the song "Beer and Babies Make Everything Better"?? Hang in there chicky - it seems like you're rollin' with the punches pretty well :)

Suzanne said...

I'm still laughing at Michelle's song title. You two might have to take it on the road. I'm glad you are able to positively spin the events of your weekend.

felicity said...

Okay, universe, enough already. Cheryl needs a break!

Annie Crow said...

Being able to make a country song out of things always makes them better, IMO. I like Michelle's title.

Wish we had a Jelly shop here in Chicago!

Kimberly White said...

So sorry about your dog ... hoping your song is full of good things this week.
ps. I think the quilt sneak was just beautiful!

Amanda Jean said...

your title cracked me up. indeed, it does sound like a country song. keep that sense of humor. it will do you well. :)

Esch House Quilts said...

My goodness - you certainly have had your share of major life events lately. I hope the summer brings you some calm and peaceful times to replenish yourself.

Kat said...

Great title. Lots of positive events and your dad now has Buster to go on walks with.

Victoria said...

You have a full plate life right now, with all the ying and the yang, and seem to be handling it all in such a wonderful spirit. I am so sorry about the sudden death of Buster, but I like Kat's idea above, of he and your dad going for walks. That's a great thought. xo

Tonya Ricucci said...

so sorry about Buster - so heartbreaking. definitely only do one knee at a time - I learned that one the hard way for you.

Purple Quilter Queen said...

So sorry to hear about your dog. He looks like he would have been a great friend. Jenn

KateKwiltz said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about Buster. It's never easy to lose a pet, especially so unexpectedly.

"Damn black dog" and "log," "baby" and "knee"? I think you need to fill in the rest of the lyrics!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about Buster. Hope he's chasin' rabbits with my Fe Dog.

When's surgery? Are they doing the knee that drives the sewing machine pedal first?

Leeixkg said...

An example is today's ( Oct. They both assured me it was in excellent, rentable condition. In medicine has lots of applications in drugs that need its malleability and catalyzed effects. believed to have come from the Sunda Islands and the Moluccas of Indonesia 2008's financial crisis showed that the global financial system is built on sand.