09 July, 2010

Thread


You've heard me speak of my particular thread love before. Today I am sharing, with the inspiration from Sew Mama Sew, a bit more about thread.

How do you select colours for your personal thread collection?
Unlike fabric, I don't have a thread stash. Rather, I have thread that I've purchased for specific projects and maybe there are some leftovers.

Do you always match the thread perfectly to your project?
Well, that depends on the project. For piecing I use a cream or grey 99% of the time. For quilting it depends on the project at hand and my goals with the quilting.

Do you ever use contrasting thread?
Indeed, I have. I've outlined by hand with black. I've used colour on white, more than once. Or, when you've got a project with strong contrast in fabric choices, you can go one way or the other and you get contrast.

Do you use the same colour in the bobbin as on the top?
Usually, I do. You have to be very good with your tension if you use different threads, and even now I still struggle with this. For example, I constantly fought with tension on my Roots quilt, and it really mattered because I used grey on the back and constantly changed the top thread.

What if a fabric has big areas of very different colours?
Over time I've discovered that I stress way too much about the quilting pattern and thread choice. Especially when it comes to very colourful pieces. The truth is, in many, many quilts the thread and quilting pattern will get lost in a busy design. So, on a multicoloured or busy piece pick one colour and go with it.

Do you have any tips or suggestions on picking thread?
Experiment! Until you know what your machine likes and you've quilted a few times with it, it is hard to narrow down a specific choice of thread based on someone else's recommendation. So, try a few brands, a few needle sizes, and just play. The right thread will make itself known.

Do you ever buy thread because you fall in love with a colour? As an investment?
Nope.

What types of thread do you have?
I stick entirely to cotton.  My latest obsession is Precensia Mercerized Egyptian Cotton. I love the colours, it works well in my machine, and it doesn't produce a lot of lint. And it doesn't break! I do have some embroidery floss that the girls and I use to play around with embroidery. Thanks to Jen for that!

What about you? What are your thread favourites?

19 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

I have been using Superior Threads Masterpiece and have been really happywith it. I would LOVE to have a lot of colors just because of the colors, but I really mostly use neutrals, so there you have it...

Unknown said...

I'm in the market for new thread so maybe I'll try it...
Inhave tons more floss whenever you need it!

Rossie said...

we are kindred spirits! piddly little collections of thread.
I realized today as I bought red thread to make a red top that maybe garment makers need colored thread more often.

Elaine said...

For quilting I have a longarm and use Superior King Tuts. I've tried others and they seem to have problems. What's nice is that for most quilts, when you use one kind of thread tension doesn't change - unless you're using some really different fabric.
I tend to do the same thing as most of the answers on this interview.

Lee D said...

i have a bit of a stash just so that i have some if i need it and not have to go to the store just for thread. I use Sulky, mettler, and connecting Threads thread. at this stage I am not picky. I have figured out the hard way that using one brand on top and a different brand on the bottom don't always work well together

Holly said...

I have a rainbow of about 30 spools of Gutermann thread. Somehow, it makes me happy to match my thread colour to the predominant colour in my quilt. For my birthday, I finally got a thread holder and I love it!

Mishka said...

Aurifil 50wt for all piecing. I vary for quilting with what I have on hand and what I want the finished piece to look like. Often it's Aurifil too, but I do have several other brands to use up.

Katie B said...

I use Gutermann polyester. If I try to use cotton, my machine berserk. Isn't that funny?

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

What weight of the P do you use? The last quilt I did with aurifil it seemed like it kept breaking...

elle said...

I do have a thread stash but I like to do thread painting and that requires some shading. I do general sewing with large cones of neutrals from Cansew.

Sequana said...

After some years of experimentation, I've become a Superior girl. *S* It works great in both my machines.

I use a few kinds (and weights) from there, and I love the pre-filled bobbins.

The only type of thread I thot I'd like but don't is variegated.

Unknown said...

Holy Cow! I never think that much about thread. Is it more important as a quilter, I suppose??? Now you have me thinking about a whole new worlds of threads!

Corinnea said...

I have a lot of thread. The majority of my sewing is clothing though and that makes a difference. I must be able to match for topstitching. I use Mettler because it is easy for me to get and works well in clothing. As I try to do more quilting I see my needs changing a bit.

Rachaeldaisy said...

I'm pretty neutral with my threads, I change projects pretty quickly so the idea of winding new colours on bobbins or having to wait to buy the right colour would slow me down. That's for my quilting. I think if I was sewing garments I'd be more likely to match colours. I'm new to your blog. I found my way here because of the City Quilts Tour. I love your quilts!

Amanda Jean said...

I recently started branching out with my thread choices. I'm trying out Guterman and Mettler. I'm not super impressed with Aurifil... breaks too easily in my machine.

otterdaughter said...

I like Gutterman or Coats for my piecing, and Maxilock swirls for quilting. Those blended colors really look nice!
My favorite thread I can't find anywhere anymore. They were on grey solid plastic spools and were made by Molnlycke. I have several colors I've inherited from my mom's stash and hoard them.

KarenH said...

I love these quilts and teir vibrant color. Can I make them all!?!?

ohthatpaula said...

I have so many different kind of threads for different applications... If I had to mention one thread... it would be Aurifil 50wt for piecing.

katepang said...

I found your blog today via Amy's Creative Side, and I find it very professional and interesting. I've been reading lots of quilt-related blogs lately that are all far better than mine, and consequently my blogging is dormant (although my quilt finishing rate has gone up, bonus!). Threadwise, I do have a small stash of YLI variegated threads, which I totally love. I mostly use YLI or Gutermann threads for quilting, and Sylko (called something else now?) and Gutermann for piecing. These are what I am able to find locally. I am a total fan of variegated threads, they are just fantastic for the indecisive. I do have some Valdani threads, which are lovely but linty.