03 January, 2010

Footballs of Destiny

The oval quilt is finally finished and delivered.  Little James, the recipient, is only 2 months old now. And it wasn't for lack of excitement for the project, I loved making this quilt.  I was just slow.  The little guy with the biggest, juiciest cheeks ever now has it so I can share it here.

I made this quilt using the 6 minute circle technique courtesy of Dale Fleming. Sure, I've got my circle technique down and I'm pleased with it, but when I decided that I wanted to try ovals with this quilt I also decided that I didn't want them to be appliqued. Then I came across this quilt and knew I'd found the solution to my dilemma. I made a test block for an oval with great success.  In truth, the hardest part of this quilt was figured out how to make the two ovals.

The internet is a wonderful source of information.  One evening I searched and searched on how to draw an oval.  Hubby and I conferred and his woodworking knowledge paid off.  Then I remembered that I could simply draw a shape in Word. Two evenings of research and discussion, and five minutes on the laptop.

Each block really does take less than 10 minutes, so I was easily able to bang out a few blocks an evening.


The quilting on this is quite simple.  At first I had some grand plans, but they never seemed right with. Hubby pointed out (he really did contribute a lot of this quilt) that the ovals already popped and it probably wasn't necessary to quilt them so the stood out more. Again, the internet saved me.  Thanks to Wanda and Exuberant Color I saw this technique and found my solution.  I didn't make my lines as wavy as hers, but I love the outcome. And it was fast!

Usually I put a hanging sleeve on the back of my baby quilts.  Not everyone wants the quilt to be used on a daily basis, but they still want to see it. My girlfriend's husband did this with the last quilt I gave them. I assumed that would happen again, but my girlfriend is hoping that her little man adopts the quilt as his lovey.  I wish her luck, even my girls have chosen crocheted blankets over the quilts Mama made.

Don't you love that Mingle fabric on the back?

Another Hubby contribution to this quilt is the name.  Yes, it is called Footballs of Destiny. So, so cheesy, but we love it. The label is printed on Printed Treasures sheets and I tried to double layer the oval.  Not as good as the ovals on the front, but it still works.

The binding is a lovely Lecien.

I am so happy to share this quit with James and his family. They are dear friends and I'm looking forward to seeing the little guy grow.


20 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

simple quilting is the best quilting in my opinion. Almost parallel a little bit crooked lines are my favorite.

Trudi said...

That is such a fabulous quilt, I LOVE it! I hope the little man grows to love it too! The simple quilting really does mae the quilt shine!

elle said...

Nice colours and graphics, and quilting. AND- nice profile, Cheryl! Happy New Year!

Kris said...

What great colors and I hope the little guy loves it!

Unknown said...

Beautiful quilt. Oh how I wish I was more into quilting myself...I can for sure appreciate your craft!

Erin said...

This is terrific! Very unusual, great colors and a fabulous name. Fantastic!

Unknown said...

Crap.
Why do I have to make everything you make.
You keep added to my list!

It's excellent by the way.

Paula said...

Cute, cute, cute....I'm waiting for my first grandson. Exciting times!!!

Tanya said...

My beautiful friend...Thank you so much for the quilt, and for all that you do for my family and me. James and I cuddled under your quilt today, we all love it...As for hanging it, Mark thinks it is too nice not to display it...we will see who wins

Diane said...

Wow! This is beautiful! love the browns and blues and I have to love the backing as I have that in my collection as well!

Unknown said...

WOW, Cheryl you never cease to amaze me with your talents! Quilting, cooking, writing and photography! Can't wait to see this one and it's recipient in person! Keep on blogging,

Kim

Jenny said...

a really great quilt and I love that you had so much (quality) help from your spouse!

Amanda Jean said...

Your quilts amaze me, Cheryl. This one is no exception. I really like your use of ovals and how they aren't in every block. I like how hubby contributed to the project. I love the quilting. AND the mingle fabric on the back. All around, a great finish!

ilovebabyquilts said...

Love mingle! I'm using some of the blue/green myself righ tnow. Very "boy" quilt, he'll love it more as the years pass!

Victoria said...

What a wonderful gift. Great job!

Your sis-in-law said...

James is one lucky little man. Let them know that if he does not love the quilt, it would look FABULOUS in my house!!

CitricSugar said...

This quilt turned out beautifully and the title made me laugh out loud - I love it!

I'm sure it'll be loved for a very long time. Thank you for making curves less frightening for me. :-)

Jackie Russell said...

Cute quilt!

Jenny said...

Girl, I still don't understand how you can do such perfect orbs. I know you did a great tutorial on how to do that, but I still get nonagons.

Great work as always!

brown robin said...

Hey! I thought you weren't posting and then you go and show off one of my favorite little boy quilts ever! Love, love, love it. How'd you quilt that? Walking foot or darning? I am going to have to branch out some this new year.