12 July, 2009

No More Whining

Okay, there has been far too much whining here of late.  I could continue on - life's just beating me down these days - but it is time to move on.  Seriously, I need a kick in the butt and some perspective.  Don't let me whine anymore.

Instead I will share some good news and some quilt photos.  Other than the gates, our fence is done!  We can also now run around and play on the new grass.  And speaking of grass, I finished my grass inspired quilt.

I should clarify that this quilt is more inspired by the intended patio in our newly landscaped yard.  The patio is still a month or so away from being completed.  Maybe that's why I wanted to do this quilt - letting my imagination run wild while I stare out the back window.  Or compensate for the lack of patio?  Oops, I said no more whining.

The top is made entirely from scraps.  Okay, maybe the whites technically qualify as stash, not scraps.  But they weren't big pieces.  All the greens do come from the scrap pile.

The white squares are 12.5 inches and the pieced sashing in 4.5 inches wide.  Those are unfinished numbers.  I made the sashing pieces by trimming my green scraps - those that were big enough - to about 13.5 inch strips.  After dividing them into dark/medium and light piles I sewed two strips together.  I then trimmed them, often on an angle, to 12.5 by 4.5 strips.  The cornerstone pieces were made from smaller scraps, sewn together into a simple four patch and trimmed down.

Initially I thought this would be a great picnic quilt, but Smilosaurus is way too messy for that this year.  The quilting will be a challenge - at least to me.  This is where the grass inspiration will really come in.  Stay tuned.

And speaking of perspective, I wanted to share with you some good news.  Do you remember this quilt?  My colleague and old boss finally got his new heart on Friday.  We heard yesterday that he is already recovering quite well.  So when I'm whining about the state of my house and busyness of life, remind me that heart matters more.

PS  This last pic includes fabrics from that Inspired Improvisation quilt - and one of the many aphids hanging around these days.

17 comments:

heather said...

I love that your shoes match the quilt.

Twisted Quilts said...

I love your grass quilt. The other quilt for your boss still speaks to me. Good luck to him.

Sunshine said...

the green hues work really well together, nicely done! Maybe you need to take the water quilt pieces somewhere near water and inspiration will strike, cause this one looks great on grass ;)

Cheers,
Christine

Zarina said...

I love the different shades of green. I have made a hand dyed thread in that colorway but I named it Zarina's Playing with Green.

Amanda Jean said...

what a gorgeous quilt! i LOVE it!!!!

laura said...

I found your blog through a friend; I peek in every once in a while to see your creativity. Hope you don't mind.

This quilt is so beautiful!!! Love the white surrounded by the green! Laura

Me? A Mom? said...

lovely! Simply lovely. I can't wait until my scrap pile is large enough to do this.

Andrea said...

I'm so loving green lately! It's fresh different...looks great. As for the whining, please whine away and tell us your ups and downs too...it makes you real!

brown robin said...

Girl! I thought I was the one who'd been whining lately. You've been a trooper. So... just know that you are one awesome artist/quilter/mama/woman even when you are down and out. I love the symmetry (mispelled, I'm sure) of this new quilt. You continue to be my inspiration. Yes... I'm counting my blessings for the healthy hearts in this household. It's all just perspective, really. Thanks for giving me a healthy dose of the perspective I needed in this last week. I can't even tell you how much your comments meant... you were my tether for 24 hours. Blessings, friend.

Unknown said...

Love your grass top! I'm excited for you and your yard that is nearing completion :) I try to remember the little things that are going right in life, when everything else seems to be getting me down. You'll make it :)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Amanda(crazymom)told me about this quilt so i had to come see! fun blog! ;-)

mary@marinandcolusa.blogspot.com said...

Love your lattice. How nice to be unafraid of slanted seams!

Mary said...

Sorry, didn't mean to put my whole address in the name spot.

Annie said...

great quilt!!

jacquie said...

great job! love the inspiration behind this..news like that will give you a kick in the butt and remind us all what's important. good for him!

Threeundertwo said...

I just love that shot with the shoes! Pretty quilt!

Katherine said...

Inspiring quilt! Just gorgeous.