18 January, 2009

Inspired Improvisation Ready for Delivery

My Inspired Improvisation quilt is done. Oh, and I finally got my new camera, so I can share the pictures with you.

This quilt was truly an improvisational piece. In a fit of insomnia a few months I bundled up and headed to the basement. On the table was the doodle I'd saved. The Monster was only scribbling, but it captured me and I kept it. From that drawing I started pulling fabric, cutting some squares and strips, swiped my rotary through the squares, and sewed. As you can see, some blocks only got swiped once, some twice, some here, and some there.

When I started I had no plan. This was definitely about the process. Hell, I didn't even know if this was going to end up as a quilt. Sometimes you just need to start something and see what happens. Along the way I realized that it was going to turn into a vibrant quilt and I needed to start thinking about the end result. At that point I began to plan block sizes and total number of blocks. And because I didn't cut enough fabric that first night I could actually cut to better size and end with less waste.

The back was pieced with the few remaining fabrics in large enough quanities. This was entirely stash-built so I wasn't about to buy fabric for the backing. It required a bit of creativity, but I thought I captured the energy of the front on a large scale for the back.

The label had to include The Monster's scribbles. I scanned the original and used it as the background for my label. Unfortunately our ink was a little low so the colours weren't as vibrant as the original, but that paper is damn expensive so I wasn't about to reprint.
The quilting is in sharp contrast to all the angles of the front. I debated with myself for a few days over whether I should contrast the design or mimic it. I started it and then let it sit for a few days because I wasn't sure about it. To be honest, I went ahead still unsure merely because I was too lazy to rip it out! I'm glad I did. It gives a nice weight to the quilt and the contrast is striking.
Finally, the quilt was finished with this multi-fabric binding. It was the perfect touch. A solid binding would have been too boring.
I can't wait to deliver this one. My boss is still waiting for his heart. He's home now. We'll be heading up in a few weeks and with luck I can present it to his family for his transplant recovery. If not, then I can get a visit with a remarkable man and show him some gratitude for all he's done for me.

13 comments:

Christy said...

This is gorgeous! I love this.

Twisted Quilts said...

I just love what you did with this. I saved this quilt in my file that I use when I need some inspiration. The colors are great. I like your description of how you worked. I agree, sometimes you just need to work and see what develops.

Amanda Jean said...

i LOVE the quilt! love the colors, the design, the inspiration...allo if it! it turned out gorgeous! what is the final size of it?

Jessica said...

This is great! I need a little bit of improvisation in my quilting.

Anonymous said...

The quilt is gorgeous! Thanks for showing the finished product. Well done!

KateKwiltz said...

I. LOVE. THIS.
Beautiful colors, and the idea of just diving in is wonderful. Fantastic!

Unknown said...

It's beautiful! I love the colors!

Sara said...

Fantastic! I love the colors, quilting, everything! You did a great job!

* elizabeth * said...

It's wonderful! And congrats on the new camera! It's it awful being without!?

jacquie said...

jaw dropping gorgeous!

Samantha said...

Stunning, gorgeous, and amazing all come to mind when i see this one. Wow.

Joyzelle said...

Incredible!
Love the inspiration, love what you did....LOVE how it turned out!

SuzyQSparkles said...

These are some of my favorite colors currently (though I have yet to put them together in cloth). I'm glad I stumbled upon your rendition (via Amanda Jean of CrazyMomQuilts).

Thanks for sharing!