02 September, 2008

Dealing With It

I don't know if it's the 3-4 month period after the baby's arrival, or Hubby working late and out of town these days, or my dad's illness, or just the hormones, but it's been a rough few weeks. Despite the baby sleeping well most nights I've not been. Insomnia and anxiety are just hanging over my head. So one night last week, rather than toss and turn, I made some hot milk with honey and attacked my stash.

The Monster was colouring while we were in Kelowna. Her limited supply of highlighters and pens at Great-Grandpa's house brought about the colour scheme. For some reason I kept this picture, when I normally recycle her everyday art at this point. Using this as my inspiration I pulled fabric and started cutting.

First I cut a bunch of squares and strips. Then I slashed the squares and sewed the strips in, randomly of course. After a good press I slashed the squares in the other direction on some, creating a cross in the middle of the square. Some I left with just one strip. In less than an hour I had 14 blocks.

Who knows what this will end up as and who for? But I felt immensely better after that hour and slept well (with expected interuptions) that night. And since Hubby is not home with a paintbrush for the playhouse I will hit the basement and quilt in between loads of laundry.


Miriam said...

I hope you save that picture and mat it with one of those quilt pieces and frame it. That way you will have a companion piece to the quilt. It would be part of the story of how the quilt came to be and then you would have a visual for the Monster of how she inspired a quilt design when the quilt has been so well loved that it is no more. Just saying it might be the start of a "remember when" story for as she grows. But then you know how I am about children's art.

elizabeth said...

I didn't know you had another blog! Great playhouse!

Samantha said...

can't wait to see how that turns out! Every now and then, one of those "every day art pieces" really strikes a cord.

amandajean said...

wow...you have a lot going on. I hope it gets better for you soon, cheryl! I have insomnia, too, and it stinks. I think I blogged for hours last night...from 2am-6am. then got up to get the kids off to school at 7. the night before last I got up and quilted...made mini log cabin blocks from ridiculously small scraps that I can't bear to throw away. I'm hoping for sleep tonight!

love your color scheme and the inspriation...that is too sweet.

Zarah said...

Looks gorgeous! :D

Anonymous said...