13 September, 2008

Phew

What I discovered about myself this week: I can make it approximately 3 days on my own without losing my mind with the girls, and I am a wuss for only making it 3 days. It was an exhausting week with Hubby out of town for work.

Then, on Thursday, I ran into a girl that I knew from high school. Turns out she only lives a few blocks from me. And she is a new mom, with an adopted 14 month old. Oh, and her husband is stationed in Afghanistan with the Forces so she is doing the single mom thing - all the time. I am in awe of women (and men) who can handle life alone like that. You definitely need good support systems.

This week, thankfully, my neighbours were home so they were able to come over once and watch the baby while I ran out. If I didn't have them I don't know what I would do! Especially this week when our phone and internet went out and was only fixed today. They were also some friends simply to talk to.

On the plus side, I did take as much time as I could to sew - during naps. Today I finished the top of this quilt. I liked this picture so much that I am posting it first. After no internet for nearly a week I have to play catch up with my posts. And while finishing it today I came up with the name: Inspired Improvisation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait to see how your inspiration has transpired. I do love this color combination.

jacquie said...

it is tough being the only parent around...especially with little ones. my hubby is out of town lots too and i struggle being the mom of the teen. it's so good when your partner is around. love the colors in this quilt!!! hang in there and thank goodness for good neighbors.

Jessica said...

I can't wait to see this quilt all finished up! It looks great!!

Amanda Jean said...

I don't know how single parents do it. My dad was (and still is, I guess) to 6 (!!!!) children. now that I have children of my own my respect for him has increased immensely.

can't wait to see your quilt!

* elizabeth * said...

great name. And yeah, single parents must be saints. I'd go crazy.
And I love the new banner.