09 October, 2015

Sanity Sewing


Sometimes you just have to get 'er done.

This quilt has been in the works for a few years now... And I got on top of finishing it a few months ago (well, finishing the top). I was making good progress with some commitment when I hit a snag. I'd made a mistake. My very last block in the very last row was the wrong one. There are two block styles in this quilt and I used the wrong one in this spot. And all I had to do at that point was sew the rows together to finish the top. Annoyed with myself and frustrated, the quilt top sat for weeks at that juncture. Because all I had to do was make a slab, draw a foundation, sew a new block, remove the old one, attach it, and then sew the rows together. It sounds like a lot of work, but it wasn't. I was just in a mood about it.

This week I found myself in a real need to sew. After a few weeks of a bad cold that wouldn't go away I longed to get to the machine. Those are the moments when I usually start something new or default to random improv. Instead I forced myself to make that last block. And it took me about 30 minutes, if that. Not counting a break for Hot Wheels with my boy.

Then I was struggling to get the rows sewn together. With all those slabs, the angles, and some skinny bits on the edges each row is bulky and lining things up was tough. Not to mention that I kept the freezer paper foundation on each block because of the crazy amount of bias edges. Then I caught Bari J. Ackerman on a Periscope broadcast extolling the virtues of glue basting (a la Christie Fincher). Bingo!

I've used glue basting before for Paperless Paper Piecing in a class with Christie. And I've heard of other people glue basting for regular piecing. It did not occur to me to use it this way. I'm so happy I saw that Scope because it totally made it easy to get this top together. A thin line of glue in the seam allowance instead of pinning (or hoping for the best) holds the fabric in place, once heat set. Then you can go ahead and sew your seam.

And get the quilt top done.

Right now this top has the temporary name of Shh....





16 comments:

badlandsquilts said...

It turned out fabulous!

Jennifer said...

Wow - love it!

Suzanne said...

I can identify to the core about what it feels like to be frustrated about a project. I'm glad you shared about the glue basting and how quickly you were able to fix it. Do you think the marination time helps with that? I do!

Kali said...

I can so identify with that one little step stopping the next. I currently have a quilt that is half quilted, but I'm not loving it and the dense straight lines take so long, that it's stalled me out for months. Maybe today will be the day I tackle it and see if I can fall in love again..... So glad I caught your periscope on this, it was wonderful to "spend" a few minutes with you!

Sandra W said...

The only thing I question about gluing is why does it have to be heat set? I have read it's so the needle won't get gummed up. However, it would be a lot easier if you glued a bunch of things and then let it just dry over night. No one seems to know the answer to this question.

Linda Fleming said...

An interesting quilt!
Thanks for tip on glue basting - I'll need to try that when I'm needing some extra help!

elizabeth said...

ugh! i am in a similar spot with a paper pieced project and for now it sits... thanks for sharing. i will try the glue basting! I'm glad I'm not the only one that messes up and has to take a break. i love the quilt! it is beautiful.

Unknown said...

I made a pair of pants yesterday for a change of pace from piecing. They dont fit! I calmly (! sort of) folded them up andput them away in the too hard basket! then as I was just about to fall asleep last night...... solution! Yay! I'll rescue them from the basket today. What a beautiful quilt. Shh is a perfect name for it.

Nancy said...

I love this quilt - the gorgeous triangles with the pale palate. Looks fabulous.

Charlotta said...

I love your quilt top! And, I'm glad - for some reason! - to hear that I'm not the only person who can get stopped for ridiculously long periods of time, by what is really a minor fix.

Jodi said...

Well worth your diligence in finally getting it done! Love it. I need to try glue basting, too. Thanks!

Bari said...

Yay Glue basting!!! So glad you saw that. I use it for everything. Sandra, it's so the glue dries. It's super easy. Takes a second to heat set. I'd never wait overnight. I want stuff done now. I dry iron does that.

Cristy said...

I love this quilt!! And you Cheryl!

PaddyAnne said...

I like your quilt very much. I like your blog too - last night I read posts that you wrote a few years ago, as they are so interesting.

Unknown said...

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. See the link below for more info.


#sanity
www.ufgop.org

Anonymous said...

LEGIT FULLZ & TOOLS STORE

Hello to All !

We are offering all types of tools & Fullz on discounted price.
If you are in search of anything regarding fullz, tools, tutorials, Hack Pack, etc
Feel Free to contact

***CONTACT 24/7***
**Telegram > @leadsupplier
**ICQ > 752822040
**Skype > Peeterhacks
**Wicker me > peeterhacks

"SSN LEADS/FULLZ AVAILABLE"
"TOOLS & TUTORIALS AVAILABLE FOR HACKING, SPAMMING,
CARDING, CASHOUT, CLONING, SCRIPTING ETC"

**************************************
"Fresh Spammed SSN Fullz info included"
>>SSN FULLZ with complete info
>>CC With CVV Fullz USA
>>FULLZ FOR SBA, PUA & TAX RETURN FILLING
>>USA I.D Photos Front & Back
>>High Credit Score fullz (700+ Scores)
>>DL number, Employee Details, Bank Details Included
>>Complete Premium Info with Relative Info

***************************************
COMPLETE GUIDE FOR TUTORIALS & TOOLS

"SPAMMING" "HACKING" "CARDING" "CASH OUT"
"KALI LINUX" "BLOCKCHAIN BLUE PRINTS" "SCRIPTING"
"FRAUD BIBLE"

"TOOLS & TUTORIALS LIST"
=>Ethical Hacking Ebooks, Tools & Tutorials
=>Bitcoin Hacking
=>Kali Linux
=>Fraud Bible
=>RAT
=>Keylogger & Keystroke Logger
=>Whatsapp Hacking & Hacked Version of Whatsapp
=>Facebook & Google Hacking
=>Bitcoin Flasher
=>SQL Injector
=>Premium Logs (PayPal/Amazon/Coinbase/Netflix/FedEx/Banks)
=>Bitcoin Cracker
=>SMTP Linux Root
=>Shell Scripting
=>DUMPS with pins track 1 and 2 with & without pin
=>SMTP's, Safe Socks, Rdp's brute
=>PHP mailer
=>SMS Sender & Email Blaster
=>Cpanel
=>Server I.P's & Proxies
=>Viruses & VPN's
=>HQ Email Combo (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, AOL, etc.)

*Serious buyers will always welcome
*Price will be reduce in bulk order
*Discount offers will gives to serious buyers
*Hope we do a great business together

===>Contact 24/7<===
==>Telegram > @leadsupplier
==>ICQ > 752822040
==>Skype > Peeterhacks
==>Wicker me > peeterhacks