02 July, 2015

Argyle I and II


Argyle
12'' x 12'' blocks

It isn't often that I make a quilt twice. Beyond pattern testing, I have to really, really like the pattern to make it twice. Good thing this is my own pattern!

Introducing Argyle. Appropriately named, don't you think? I was searching for ideas for a quilt for my nephew (see below). At first I was just searching for string quilts or X quilts or any number of things. Then my Hubby suggested an Argyle quilt. I didn't like any of the patterns I found, none were what I had in mind, so I made up my own.

It is one of those techniques that involves a lot of cutting, sewing, then cutting apart before sewing back together again. Oh wait, isn't that all of quilting?



The original quilt resides with my awesome nephew. The second quilt is now published, with the pattern, in the latest issue of Modern Patchwork. The original is 72'' by 96'', a very generous twin size. The one in Modern Patchwork is 72'' by 72''. (Just make more or less blocks to size up or down.)

Colours vary slightly between the two quilts. The original one is bolder, with a palette of blues, reds, oranges, and yellows chosen by my nephew. Some of the fabrics are from his baby quilt! To achieve the argyle effect you need the strips to be a dark, then you need mediums and lights. So I went to black and white fabrics for the mediums and white or tone on tone for the lights.



In the Modern Patchwork version I started with a bundle of fabric from Windham, the Modern Country line from Elizabeth Kinch. To this I added some stashed fabrics. Of note, there is some Karen Lewis Textiles screen prints, Carolyn Friedlander, Monica Solorio Snow, and Lu Summers. The white in this quilt is an Essex Linen. Overall, this is a softer quilt, more subtle in its design.

Both quilts were quilted with a squared off and overlapping meander. The original was done on a long arm and the second one on my domestic Bernina. Both were quilted with Aurifil 2600.

In addition to this quilt, I have another one plus an article on charity quilts in this issue of Modern Patchwork. With an extra copy of the magazine on my table I'm happy to give one away. On Monday I will pick a winner from the subscribers to my newsletter. Subscribe up top if you haven't already.

13 comments:

Nicole said...

That's a super design. The argyle is quite subtle but once you see it, BAM! Awesome!

Suzanne said...

That's a handsome nephew sporting a bow tie and argyles. ;)

elle said...

ooh! I like this one a LOT, Cheryl.

RockinHairBabe said...

I love this quilt!!! Beautiful both ways!

Dominique said...

Very nice! I love the second version, subtle, but with lots of personality!

Janet M said...

Both are great quilts - masculine without being boring!

Karen said...

I love the way you make the same quilt look so different (and both are yummy)!

Anonymous said...

Very nice!
BjoLiz
Lizc@skybeammail.com

Fabric Fanatic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ioleen said...

Love both quilts. But I am leaning to the more colourfulone.

Marla said...

Great quilt design. I like both versions.

Diane said...

I love the quilts, especially the softer one. Just bought the magazine, and can't wait to start browsing through it! Do you remember what type of fabric the softer green, orange, and blue strips with the white flower-like design is?

superslot said...

I love the quilts, especially the softer one. Just bought the superslot