17 April, 2015

Sarcasm and Orange


We are a sarcastic household. So much so that The Monster's third grade teacher has made a point to comment that most kids don't fully appreciate sarcasm until they are closer to twelve. Not our kids. (She was fully getting it when she was 3.) So when my husband constantly tells the kids "Orange is for nerds!" whenever they wear orange they all know that he is being a smart@ss, not serious. Especially when he says it wearing his own orange jacket.

Not surprisingly, my son's favourite colour is now orange.

After cleaning up my studio this week I set about to sorting out some storage. One of the bins I opened contained a few of these blocks - samples for the Scrapper's Delight class I sometimes teach. With our family conversations and my boy's recent birthday I felt totally inspired to combine everything into one bright quilt for him. I added more fabrics from my stash and the scrap bins to compliment the first few blocks. Each block is currently squared up to 12.5'' x 12.5'', just like the original pattern.

How fun is this quilt? I am having fun making more blocks. That's a good thing, because to get this up to bed size I need to make 49 of these in total. But the blocks are super easy and a great way to unwind at the end of the night.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

What a great colour scheme, so summery!

Brenda said...

This going to be a fun quilt - and sarcasm is a good thing to know about or your feeling could be hurt many time over!! Love this post - and love to see your works in progress.
Orange is my daughters favorite colour too.

Andrea R said...

YES!

Sarcastic household here too. For my solids version, I forgot to add my youngest (well, she's 14) was helping by picking the strips for the next round on each block.

She really got into it.

DeB said...

Love how the orange ""POPS"" out and get's my attention; then makes me look at all the other colors of the rainbow around the orange.

liniecat said...

It's joyously summer in fabric!

janequiltsslowly said...

When my son was in grade school his favorite colors were orange and purple. Now he mostly wears very sombre tones. Enjoy these days with your children. Th blocks are fantastic!

Jill said...

I like the quilt.
I'm a bit disturbed by the encouragement of sarcasm. I looked up the definition just to be sure and it's nothing to be proud of. It's a kind of verbal bullying.