31 July, 2014

Sewing Machine Quilt Reveal!


Sewing Machine Quilt 
50'' x 50''

It feels like I should have a more creative name for this quilt, but that's exactly what it is. Truth in Advertising. I'm so excited to share this with you. And the news that the pattern for this quilt should be coming in the next month, if all goes well with pattern testing and printing. The pattern will have both improv and precision piecing instructions.

I owe a lot of credit to this quilt for bringing me out of a long slump. For months I was down and not terribly excited about sewing. Sure, I was still sewing, but it was like going through the motions rather than fun. I met my deadlines and plugged away at projects, but I wasn't feeling a lot of joy. But with this quilt I felt joy and excitement. I may have jumped up and down a little even.

A friend of mine pointed out that it was telling that it was quilted sewing machines that got me excited again. You know, I never thought of that! It's so true though. I'm not generally one for symbolism, but this can't be ignored. The sewing machine is how we do our work, where so many of us find peace, and the main tool of our craft. For me to get my mojo back via a sewing machine is about as perfect as it gets.


I revealed this quilt in The Modern Quilt Guild's Webinar I delivered: Improv With Intent. In the presentation I went into great detail about the process for creating this particular quilt (and another one I'll share next week). Look for the Webinar to be posted for Modern Quilt Guild Members on their site later this week.

This quilt was done quite quickly for me. From start to finish in a month. I can't remember the last time I worked so fast! But when that inspiration takes over you have to run with it. It helps that I had long arm time booked and a desire to play with that new tool. It also helps that Le Tour was on when I had hand stitching on the binding to do.

Because this is an improv quilt each sewing machine is a bit different. That's the joy! But it does become a challenge to make them all still look like sewing machines and to solve any little glitches on the fly. Perhaps that's why it got me so jazzed, the little blips in sewing that improv provides are tiny little hills that you have to push yourself just a little bit more to get over. They aren't frustrating, only motivating. And you are always rewarded with the results!

The block below is one of my favourites. Most of the fabrics I chose are favourites, but this one especially so. I've got quite a bit of it hoarded and pull it out often. So glad it is in here.


Don't be afraid to tackle a new idea. Get your fabric out, sketch out the idea, cut and get to sewing. Even if you never make more than the one block you will be rewarded!


11 comments:

cauchy09 said...

hooray!! looks like a great way to play. glad you got your mojo back!

xo

Patti said...

I love this quilt too. And all that it represents. Glad you are joyful at your sewing machine again. Congrats!

ChristaQuilts said...

This is such a fun quilt and I loved hearing more about it during the webinar last night. I'm so glad it got you out of your slump!!

Here's to endless creativity!!

house on hill road said...

love it! can't wait to watch the webinar - i was so bummed to miss it!

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a great quilt for your sewing room wall--inspiring and decorative at the same time!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a terrific finish! Congrats Cheryl... it's awesome!

Unknown said...

So glad you are refreshed and inspired again. Your books have helped me get inspired. It is kind of funny, but it is hard to think of those that help you sometimes also have their own time periods where things just don't quite come together.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

I enjoyed your Improv with Intent the other night on MQG webinar and hearing about this quilt. Look forward now to taking your class at QuiltCon and meeting in person.

Leanne said...

I love this quilt and it's great that it has given you some new quilting mojo too. The quilting is perfect for it too.

Dominique said...

I have loved this quilt ever since I saw your first blocks.

Josie McRazie said...

Ummmm CRAZY cute!! I wanna pattern test that!! How do I get THAT job! ;0) glad you found you groove!!