23 July, 2014

Giant Dresdens


How fun to start a new project. It's been a while since I started something brand new, right from the fabric pull. (I have another project that I'll share next week too).

This project is destined for the lap of an almost 90 year woman. I don't usually take commissions, but my closest cousins asked if I would make something for their Baba on the other side. I had an idea I wanted to try and some Allison Glass fabric that has been sitting around forever that I wanted to use. Those two things combined into a yes to the project.


And so I'm playing, experimenting, trying something new. I'm in love. These are giant Dresdens. I had a Fat Cat ruler in my QuiltCon swag bag. I'm not exactly likely to make a cat block, but the same ruler works perfectly for 30 degree wedges for a Dresden Plate. These completed Dresdens measure about 26'' in diameter! And it only takes about an hour to cut and sew each one. Pretty good time investment for big impact. Just need to get some background fabric and sew these down. But maybe I'll make at least one more first.

4 comments:

Cille said...

Looks like a really fun projekt :)

Wonderbunnie Designs said...

I love the look of the Dresden plate pattern, have always meant to start one.... yours looks great!

Arita said...

They look great. I got the same ruler in my QuiltCon Swag bag but have never taken it out of the package, now I know what I can use it for. Thank you!

Quiltjane said...

Love Dresdens and I love the Fat Cat ruler. Your quilt will look great.