03 January, 2014

Friday Favourite - Hoarfrost




It's snowing again here. And by again I need to point out that we've had snow on the ground since before Halloween. I clearly remember leaving a thunderstorm in Houston at Quilt Market and returning to a storm here. Winter is long. That's why you have to take the pleasure where you find, embrace the beauty too. Whether it be...

... a perfectly shovelled walk (yes, there is such a thing).
... snow angels.
... any time spent in the mountains.
... the fields of straw covered in snow against a blue sky.
... skating on the outdoor ice.
... buildings snow forts and mazes in parks.
... snowball fights.
... the quiet that envelopes the world when the snow falls.
... hoarfrost.

Oh, hoarfrost. I revel in hoarfrost in the winter like I do a good thunderstorm in the summer. Weather is going to happen so let it give you a thrill!

Sometimes you go to bed knowing it will happen. It is cool, but not warm and you can feel humidity in the air. Sometimes it is a Christmas morning surprise when you wake up and the world is white. Not the ground and the tops of the trees only, everything is white. And it is magical and pretty and you can't help but twitterpate.

For those of us who like to take pictures you wish the sun would come out a bit so the light makes the world even more magical. But that is a terminal wish because the sun causes all those fragile crystals coating the world to melt and drift away. So go for a walk, sit in the window with tea, or look through the branches and the beauty.

9 comments:

mjb said...

I got to experience the beauty of hoarfrost the first 5 years of my life, and the joy of snow and bitter cold for the rest of my childhood. While I seriously doubt I could handle the temperatures now and lack most survival skills because of the 12 years I've spent in the south, I do miss the beauty of the bright blue sky against the sparkling white snow. February tends to be awfully gray here.

Kat said...

That is a long winter. I think we are experiencing the beginnings of climate change over here. No real winter in sight. It is way too warm. So thank you for sharing! :o)

Sonia B said...

Such a beautiful mental image. Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne said...

Since Halloween? That's a long time with snow around. I'm glad you have found ways to enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love the seasons and the changes in weather. I know your winters are long, but oh my, they are so very beautiful. We don't have such cold winters so we are able to spend some time out of doors each day and the fresh crisp air of an autumn morning here is my favourite. I love that you embrace the environment you live in and appreciate the beauty.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could take as much joy in winter as you do... I'm counting the days until summer!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

It's mid summer here and very hot and humid. Your snow looks like a dream as it never snows in our part of Australia.

Just found your blog Cheryl, stumbled on it through Pinterest. I love your books. I was gifted Sunday Morning Quilts several months ago and ordered A Month of Sundays for the children to gift me for Christmas. Browsing through it was the prefect way to enjoy some quiet time on Christmas day and since.

Jo Ann said...

I've always loved the quiet of snow. And the crunch when you walk in the cold.

Sarah said...

Can you please tell me what hoarfrost is Cheryl? I think maybe it's a North American term that I haven't heard before. It looks beautiful! Im finding it difficult to find beauty in our four days over 40*C in South Australia at the moment.