30 October, 2013

Just One Slab Update - Getting Close



2280 blocks.
Makes 114 quilts.

106 quilt tops.
38 completed quilts.

337 packages received.
Close to 750 participants (estimated)
23 guilds.
11 quilt shops.

Nearly every Canadian Province and Territory.
27 US States.
8 countries.

Not to mention the time of the volunteers helping sort mail, put together quilt tops (like Andrea, Jen, Lee, Becca, my SIL, and others), long arm quilters (so many that I don't know them all!), and an army of people making and attaching binding and labels.



Traditional Pastimes is incredible for gathering quilts, distributing kits for making quilt tops, assigning backing fabric and distributing to long armers, and hosting volunteers who are still meeting to finish the binding and labelling.

Then there are the corporate donations from companies like EE Schenck and Robert Kaufman. For batting, backings, and extra wide backings we thank you. It makes finishing up the last quilts a lot easier.

All donations - from 1 slab to a roll of batting - are greatly appreciated.

(And thank-you to my husband and family for helping, donating their time, and tolerating the proliferation of packages, fabric, piles of quilts, and giant rolls of batting.



At this point I am still rallying volunteers to help finish the quilts. I have a stack of quilt tops ready for quilting, enough blocks for about 15 more tops, the binding to get on three more, and then all the labelling. This is on top of the 60 or so quilts that Traditional Pastimes coordinated finishing.

(I am also planning a big thank you for all participants here in this space. Stay tuned.)

Winter indeed arrived in Calgary this week, so the quilts are going to be timely. I'm sorting out the distribution details, but the plan is for a date in early December.

Thank you. Thank you all so much.

13 comments:

Patti said...

Completely amazing and wonderful! Thanks to you, and all the fabulous people around you, for getting our slabs into quilts!

Leanne said...

You and the team are doing such a great job with this project. I wish I had time to come to Calgary to help. If you think shipping them north for help is economical let me know.

Michele T said...

Wow!! Very impressive indeed! A heart felt thanks to you and all the people helping you pull this off and after all these months!!

Arita said...

Thank you to all who helped out it truly is wonderful. I've enjoyed the Facebook updates and your blog posts.

Audrey Mackie said...

Well done organising all this. I have given some quilts I had made and lying in the cupboard to folks in Canmore for flood victims. They were so appreciative. A quilt is surely a hug and these victims need all the hugs they can get especially as it gets colder.

Gramma Quilter said...

Thanks for the update. So unbelievable eh! Thank YOU for starting this journey and seeing it through.

The Cozy Quilter said...

All I can say is WOW!

Will Cook for Shoes said...

Amazing!! Let me know if there is any way I can help! I'm in Winnipeg.

- Trina
www.willcookforshoes.ca
tgallop@mts.net

Rolanda said...

It is wonderful to have an update about the slab blocks. It is good to see what is being done with our donation.

Westend Quilter said...

Thank you so much for leading this effort and teaching some of us what a 'slab block' is!

Jane said...

Wow! Congrats on a job well done.
I, too , hadn't discovered the slab block til my group made up 25-now it's our new fav block!!

Thanks a million for leading this fabulous project.

liniecat said...

Such remarkable devotion to a worthy cause by you all and I hope you all feel thrilled by your success and proud of the way youve all pulled together too.
Many, many congrats!

Kathy's A Quilter said...

love your contributions to the quilting world; your energy, designs, and caring for others in the midst of all you do. LOVE this slab idea. Quilt on!