17 May, 2013

Good-bye Kathreen


Sad news in the crafting world today. Author, designer, quilter, blogger and force for all, Kathreen Ricketson died tragically. The woman behind Whip Up and author of some pretty cool books was on a year long adventure with her family, backpacking around Australia.

I had the pleasure of working with Kathreen on occasion. I greatly admired her career trajectory and found inspiration in her quilting and writing. She will be missed by many.

Please take a moment to learn more about her and her family. If you are so moved, there is an education fund already started for her children, details here.

Even though the chances are slim that we will ever meet all the people we know on-line, it is not our place to dismiss the connections anyone makes this way. Even if you never exchange an email, a blog comment or anything more than an Instagram like, this is not to say that you don't feel some inspiration, ire, delight, or joy when the other person shares details of their lives. And if you are the one sharing, remember that there are other people on the outside looking in, intrigued by your life. We can respect that relationship, but we also embrace it. So when losses happen, even from people we've never met, they can have profound impacts beyond those who are ready to give out literal hugs.  Kathreen will be missed by many.

8 comments:

CitricSugar said...

It stunned me yesterday. Too sad.

Lynda Halliger Otvos (Lynda M O) said...

Holding the children up to the Universal Healing Power and holding a sincere thought for their future. How incredibly sad. I hope the authorities are able to discern what happened.

Suzanne said...

Thank you for your lovely celebration of Kathreen and for putting into words why I feel so sad about her passing. She touched my life through her blog and even though I never "met her, I feel as though I have lost a friend.

Unknown said...

I was shocked when I heard this news via Retro mummy yesterday morning. I live on the east coast of Australia and it didn't make our news. For her children to lose both parents and to witness this tragedy is so awful. Such a loss to the craft community and her family. RIP Kathreen

leanne said...

I was also shocked to hear the tragic news of death of Kathreen and her husband - and very sad for her two children - she had been writing a series of articles for a magazine here in Australia and I'd just picked up the latest issue yesterday so hearing the news today was just unbelievable - Kathreen will be very sadly missed.

Charlotte said...

so, so awfully sad. I am heartbroken for their children.

Patti said...

Such a terribly sad event. I hope it will help her children to go back to all that she gave over the internet and know that what she did was because of her love for them. My kids are young adults now, but I hugged them extra tight after reading about Kathreen and her husband. Thanks for your thoughts and words.

Andrea said...

How awful, tragic and unfair. I am so sad to hear this.:(