10 September, 2012

Summer Party Salad (Recipe: Potato, Tomato, and Green Bean Salad)


It was time for a party.

I've avoided having people at the house for well over a year now. We are simply living in too much chaos. No matter how much I clean there is simply too much crap around, there is nowhere for anyone to be without staring at the detritus of our daily existence. And I find it infuriating. Oh, then there is that whole three kids and incontinent dog thing.

That being said, it was time we celebrated. Business is going well for Hubby. It was our 10th anniversary. The book is doing well. We're surrounded by a wonderful community of friends. Name the reason, we had an excuse for a party. So we invited our community of friends and all their kids over for a party. They deserved a solid thank-you for all the support, chearleading, and playdates they've given me over the last year. And I know that they don't care about the pile of laundry in the hallway or the ironing board in the dining room.

I made salads, a lot of salads. One of the salads I made was this potato, tomato, and green bean salad. It is a summer staple for our family. Really very simple, a good use of the CSA staple potatoes and the green beans from one of said friend's aunt's garden.

It was a glorious night that called for little cooking and loads of kidlets screaming while we parents drank beer. So I chopped, roasted some chickens, someone brought a poached salmon, and we ate. The kids ran around like maniacs and most likely caused my neighbour to drop the price on her house a little more. All the more room for kids and late nights with friends.

Potato, Tomato, and Green Bean Salad

2 shallots or 1/6 of a red onion
2 tbsp red wine or sherry vinegar
6 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp grainy or Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
1 pint cherry tomatoes
12 small red skinned potatoes, cut in half or quarters
small bundle green beans

Finely chop the shallots or onions. Top with vinegar and let sit while you prepare the rest of the salad.


Halve the cherry tomatoes and place in a large bowl. Trim the string end off the green beans.


Place the potatoes in a pot of cold water.  Bring to the boil. Once boiling, cook the potatoes for XXXX minutes.  Check your potatoes for doneness. They should be firm, with a fork wanting to not quite go through it easily. At this time, add the green beans. Cook for another 2 minutes. Drain and add to the tomatoes.


While the potatoes are cooking, finish the vinaigrette by adding the oil, mustard, and honey to the vinegar and shallots/onions.


As soon as you drain the potatoes and green beans toss with the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with chopped fresh parsley if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.



6 comments:

Jan said...

Perfecto! I have all those ingredients right now. Thanks! Your first P about avoiding having people at your house sounded like how I feel, including the infuriating part. A friend of mine says: "If you're coming to see me, stop by anytime. If you're coming to see my house, call first." It reminds me what's really important.... Cheers to a fun party!!

kids theme parties said...

That is good party salad, nice explained!

Amy said...

This looks so delicious, Cheryl. It will be on my list for next week, since the tomatoes and beans both are looking great at the farmer's market right now. Thanks a bunch!

Unknown said...

yummo, my favourite at the moment is spinach, roast pumkin, red onion, cherry tomatoes and feta, with homemade orange juice, dijon mustard, olive oil dressing. Our summer is on the way and I can't wait.

Anonymous said...

I make something similar were I roast the potatoes and add basil to the vinegar. A little goat cheese is nice too if you are into that sort of thing.

Yeah for messy houses. Too much quilting to do.

Barb N said...

I haven't had breakfast yet, and those photos are sending me directly to the kitchen. Yum, yum, yum. Thanks for sharing!