06 August, 2012

Custom Pillowcases


The first slip of paper out of our Summer Fun Jars under To Make was Pillowcases. I gave the girls 3 choices:

... Pick fabric and we'd sew pillowcases.
... Write then embroider their names on pillowcases.
... Go to town with fabric markers on plain pillowcases.

Shockingly, they picked the colouring option.



(That's a drawing of a tiger quilt on your right.)



Over the course of a week they drew, they coloured, the signed, they went crazy on two cheap pillowcases I picked up at a big box store. The fabric markers I already had, leftover from the days when I would colour all my quilt labels. Like most of our crafting I let them be, with little direction. This was their project, not mine. I believe in setting them up and letting them do what they want.

 Now, at night, they curl up with their personal artwork. It's pretty darn cute.



11 comments:

Tara said...

So lovely! The tiger quilt drawing is adorable! Trying to talk AJ into QuiltCon. You need an assistant, right?

Suzanne said...

Super cute idea!

Beth said...

so cute!

Carla said...

Nice idea. Now you will probably get one for Christmas!

Esch House Quilts said...

Such a great idea!

Fareen said...

What a great idea!!

Victoria said...

What a great project!

(And I am in total agreement with you... give kids the needed materials, then let them be. It breaks my heart when I see parents directing their kids artwork.)

charlotte said...

very cute. I love the freedom you give them to be creative in their own way.

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Wish I could get my child to draw.

Heather said...

Brilliant Idea!! I'm going to do that!! I wonder if Dollarama sells pillow cases...

Schorfheidemkwb said...

What a great idea!!