15 July, 2012

Scrappy Sunday - Alternatives




When Amanda and I started on Sunday Morning Quilts we had grand plans of showing two versions of each quilt. Well, aren't those plans grand?! It isn't in the book, but we've since decided to sew our way through the book. In addition to all the great versions other people are making, we wanted to make our own version of each other's quilts. This is the first instalment of us sewing our way through the book.


Skittles
62'' by 88''

On this one I went to the opposite spectrum from Amanda again. I emptied out my string jar, dividing the colours into warms and cools. (And I still had strings left over!). My Monster has already claimed this one because it is striped. 










Scrap Like Dat
72'' by 72''

This is an alternate colour treatment for Scrapper's Delight. Amanda did an amazing job with random, colourful scraps. I didn't want to recreate that look, so I went to one of my favourite quilts from the book. I took the fabric choices from Sunday Morning for this version. And a controlled use of pale grey in each block.








Both of these quilts were long-armed by Janet Madeyski, from Pieces and Threads quilting.

Don't forget about our  Sunday Morning Quilts Flickr group. Share your projects there too.

13 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

your alternates are lovely! it was such a treat to see the skittles quilt in person. And i did see the low volume version of scrapper's delight IRL, too, didn't I? (parts of market are still a blur, i hate to admit.)

Beth said...

I love all the bright colors you used for Skittles! Both quilts are beautiful.

Esch House Quilts said...

I love the way you alternated the warm and cool colors - very nice! And, I'm a pushover for any neutralish/low volume quilt :)

beth said...

Wow...can't decide which one I like the BEST! They are both wonderful quilts!

Suzanne said...

Two very different quilts and both are striking. I love Skittles for the pops of color.

Carolyn said...

just beautiful!

Kat said...

I LOVE your skittles quilt!
Your little "Monster" is absolutely right claiming it :-)

Kari @ The Purple Quiltapotamus said...

Oh my goodness the Skittles quilt is so lovely! The colors are awesome.

Meg said...

These are both amazing alternate takes on the originals--I'm particularly in awe of the back to Scrap like Dat, so cool!

Anonymous said...

love the name scrap like dat and the quilts of course!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I just got a copy of this book, and it is so great! So many beautiful quilts. I like the bonus of seeing the quilts in a different colorway online.

Jenny said...

Wow! The warm/cool quilt is something I'll have to try.

Jessica said...

I bought your book this summer, and then gave copies to two people for Christmas - I LOVE it, and I adore the warm/cold colour contrast in your skittles quilt. The original colourway in the book didn't really work with my stash, but this one is just SCREAMING for me to make it! Thank you for all the inspiration!