22 February, 2010

Coming Along Nicely

This is what that pile of circles is turning into. I have 5 panels planned, some with 7 circles like this one, some with 5. In the end the quilt will finish close to twin sized, much larger than I anticipated. With the abundance of TV viewing and drive time I've managed to finish 3 panels in the past week. Barring any more emergencies in our lives, I should be able to show you a finished top next week.

For a split second I debated hand piecing the entire thing.  That is, sewing the panels together by hand. Then I realized I would be doing that on principle. There is nothing wrong with the principle, but it isn't one I absolutely am bound by. Besides, I'm supposed to be exercising my knees. Using a foot pedal counts, right?

Thank-you for all your well-wishes. There is a slim chance I won't need surgery. But for now it isn't even an option. I have what are known as stiff knees. In other words, despite the extent of my injuries I should have far more mobility in my knees. So, I am a strict exercise and physio regimen for the next month. After that I should hopefully be able to lose the crutches and the big brace. Already I am feeling better and actually picked up Smilosaurus this week.  Now, that's a milestone!

And it means I can prep the rest of my circles without much trouble.

15 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

I do medical transcription for an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knees. I'm almost POSITIVE he has recommended a foot pedal as therapy in the past. :)

The circles look great, especially among the snow banks. Looking forward the bigger picture...

elle said...

Sounds like the beginning of great news. I read an article on drawing your own circle this morning. 8^) Is it small, i.e. limits or is it large, do-able, with a happy face in it?

debbi d-w said...

Love your pic of circles in the snow. Anything that can make me smile at snow this late in February must be pretty great!

Anonymous said...

Love the circles. ANd there's nothing wrong with mixing in a little practical sewing machine stitching ;)

Amanda Jean said...

I really like debbie's comment above. I can relate very well to her sentiment.

Your circles look great!!! Not only are you using a white background, you are going low volume. Very uncharacteristic for you. You feeling ok??? ;)

I love this so much I considered starting one myself. It's just wonderful.

Cristin said...

very cool! I look forward to seeing the finished quilt top! I adore circles on a quilt... just so unexpected :-) Cheers!

Unknown said...

A gold medal for artistic endeavour...so much snow too!
I love that block, so simple so elegant!

Jenny said...

Wow, those tops will be gorgeous! Can't wait.

KatieQ said...

I think this is going to make an absolutely stunning quilt. I love the way the circles "float" on the crisp white background.

Carla said...

It's great to hear you won't be needing surgery, Fewww!

Your panel reminds me of Japanese wall hangings. Very cool!

Victoria said...

This looks like it will be simply beautiful.

Very best wishes for the knees, living with pain is the awful. I hope things feel better soon and that you won't need surgery. xo

Anonymous said...

These look great! Can't wait to see what the entire top looks like.

Glad to know you're getting better. Fingers crossed that some foot-peddling will ease your knees up :)

dillpickle said...

That's good news. At least now you're able to be more mobile! And while hand sewing is very satisfying, it really is oh-so-slow! Machine sewing the panels together sounds like a very good idea :-)

CitricSugar said...

I love the gradation in sizes! And they DO look fantastic in the snow.

Good luck with the physio! (Use the inspiring CTV moments to help you on - or imagine that once your knees are better, you get to kick Brian Williams.... jk :-)

Vals Quilting said...

That is such a great photo in the middle of a superb snow bank path...the perspective is awesome LOVE it!
Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/