04 December, 2009

Oh Sweet Joy!

The other night all four of us were gathered around the dining room table, post dinner.  Hubby was using his stupid new contraption to roll up the change from the piggy banks. (Hello college fund!) The girls were enthralled with his efforts and the contraption.  To keep my hands busy I pulled out a quilt that needed some hand stitching.  Suddenly, what I was doing was far more interesting to The Monster.

Sadly, my tiny little #8 needle and the need for small stitches made it difficult for her to actually be of help. So I promised her that we would go on a special shopping trip the next day and gather supplies for her to start sewing.
 
Last night we sat down on the couch and started sewing.  I bought a medium sized hoop, some plain white cotton with a loose weave, and some large (but very real) needles.  I also let her pick out a few colours of basic embroidery floss.  Really I just wanted her to get the idea of pulling a needle through fabric while still getting a chance to see her results.

My little girl was in heaven.  We discussed the need to push the needle through front to back and back to front.  And how we had to pull the thread all the way through.  To make it easier on both of us I doubled up the thread and tied a solid knot.  I did not want to be constantly rethreading a needle! Besides, this was about process, not results.

After Smilosaurus unravelled the remaining embroidery floss and sucked the spools of thread I had also purchased she decided she wanted to learn sewing as well.  So she climbed up next to me and tried her hand at needle pulling thread.  Enthralled and impatient.

I should mention that this was actually my first time embroidering.  Seriously, I've never done it before.  This is despite the fact that my Baba was one of the most impressive cross-stitchers I've ever encountered. I worked on a little piece that had The Monster's name on it.  And honestly, I could really get behind this kind of hand work.  Look out!

This was the end result.  I moved the fabric in the hoop a few times because The Monster complained that the fabric was dirty whenever we switched colours.  That is, she wanted a fresh slate. Then she got irritated with me watching over her so I let her at it.  That's when she forgot the front to back, back to front lesson.  But isn't it perfect?

26 comments:

Unknown said...

It is so absolutely perfect! I love watching kids little hands doing embroidery.
Looks like you guys had a fun and relaxing evening!

f said...

So so precious!!

* elizabeth * said...

eee! That's so sweet.

elle said...

You are all looking very good. The tie that binds! 8^)

Valerie said...

It's amazing! I can't believe she's already got the patience to try at her tender age!

Allie said...

That is so great, thanks for sharing the photo's!

Nuts To You! said...

I started doing this with my three year old in September! Isn't it fun!?!
Shawna

Kris said...

What a great evening! Sounds like everyone involved had a great time!

Tonya said...

That is awesome. I seriously admire you dedication at teaching her at such an early age. I am inspired to teach my little girl more of my hobbies. She completely ignores me when I knit, but she is so interested in me when I am sewing. She has asked Santa to bring her a sewing machine and an iron.

Unknown said...

That, is awesome.

I think I want to send her some floss. I have more then one person could ever need.

If you want some for her, send me your address!

Katy said...

This makes me want a daughter so bad!! I love it!! I hope my boys enjoy textile arts as much as I do:)

MommaMari said...

Awww look at those little kiddie hands doing embroidery. Love it and how you kept it age appropriate.

EmileeHope said...

So cute! Love it!!

Nanbon44 said...

You need to incorporate their works of art into a memory quilt. How precious a Mommy and daughter quilt.

Heather said...

This is so sweet. With a name like monster the first thing I saw in her completed work is a monster face. :) I like the comment about a mother daughter quilt/art project.

Have fun.

sulu-design said...

So sweet! Following in her crafty mom's footsteps, huh?

brown robin said...

That is soooo wonderful! I love it when those moments just happen. I get irritated sometimes with blogs that constantly promote organized craft projects for kids. To me, crafting seems at it's best when it's inspired and spontaneous, especially for kids!

Andrea said...

oh my gosh, that is the most precious sight ever!!

Victoria said...

I love it!!

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

that is brilliant!!! My kids always want to sew with me. I let them sit on my lap as I machine sew, but this is so much better!!! I should have them make little mini hoop ornaments for the tree like this, I could draw the tree or whatever for them and let them follow the guides as they please.... my mind is reeling!! Thankyou!!

love your blog by the way!

jacquie said...

precious for sure! i remember teaching my boys to sew. jon (age 18) just bought a kit at hobby lobby and made some mocs. you never know where those early lessons will show up!

Amanda Jean said...

Yay!!! She'll be quilting before you know it!! ;)

Sarah Fader said...

Oh how sweet! Embroidery is such great fun!

jacqueline said...

This is such fun!! I adore and LOVE embroidery...and seeing your little one's work inspires me! :) Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

Nanci said...

She is just precious. I think they still make those children's cards that have holes punched that they can sew with plastic needles and she would probably love a set.

XUE said...

My little girl sews too. She is 9 now & started when she was 7. I love doing projects with her & I love watching her sew.