19 July, 2009

Where I'd Rather Be

Have you ever noticed that the majority of people who work a desk job decorate their office with vacation photos, pictures of idyllic locations, artwork from their kids, or pictures of the family itself? Have you ever noticed that all those things make up for places they would probably rather be that work?
Welcome to my work week! I have a few family photos, but I've surrounded myself with quilts and colour. Can you tell where I would rather be? If I can't spend my day quilting or with the girls, I'm bring that with me.
The requisite office supplies are surrounded by artwork from the girls - the joys of finger painting and glue. That is one of my favourite photos ever of Hubby there on the right. Taken about 12 years ago after some water-skiing. Every day when I'm on the phone and I can daydream about painting around our little craft table or those carefree times of summer without kids. And I don't see those fantasties as mutually exclusive.


Right under my Project Improv quilt sits this little area. An old wooden tray holds keys and the crackberry. It also holds my water bottle (I hate drinking cold water) and the best teapot ever. You could also call this part of my office a bit of inspiration. That glass vase is filled with my sea glass collection and the shells from our most recent vacation. And the Marimekko tin holds markers. Markers which are used should my girls or someone else's kids visit the office. Markers which as used to sketch out design ideas that hit while I'm supposed to be working.

Finally, I have to include a photo of this piece of artwork. It may look like a piece of felt with bits or scrap ribbon, buttons, pompoms, and a jingle bell. I actually think it looks like a mini art quilt. And The Monster made it just for me, just for my office.

Yeah, I know where I'd rather be.

13 comments:

RunwithSticks said...

Your office space is beautiful! It made me just take a look at mine and decide I need to spruce it up with more of ME. Right now it's just maps and oil & gas charts. Mind you, I usually have some sort of knitting project lying around :)

Unknown said...

If I had an office again...I would totally copy yours. It's very very pretty.

Andi said...

How do you get any work done with all that lovely eye candy to daydream over?
Andi :-)

Twisted Quilts said...

Thanks for the mini tour. I love the triangle quilt hanging in your office area. It adds so much color. I would look at it all day!

Kris said...

How awesome! I have a little office but I'm hoping to hang the latest mini quilt I receive from the Doll Quilt Swap once that's done! :)

I'm so inspired and it awe of your triangle quilt. It has me thinking in all kinds of new ways! If only your tutorial didn't already have me going on circles... :)

Unknown said...

Love your space! I don't drink cold water either - I like to chug my 2-3 quarts a day and can't do it cold :) What sort of office is it?

Little Lady Patchwork said...

Hello and nice to meet you! I have landed on your blog and I love everything!

I love your office space. What a great way to make it feel like home! I mean, you spend so much time there, you might as well enjoy it!

Thanks for sharing!

Amanda Jean said...

i love that you have taken your quilts and artwork into your office. what a nice space you've made it.

brown robin said...

Way to pull your spirit right into your work space... and make the best of it, I might ! I've never even met you, but I can see you in every picture. That's an important part of "holding on." I also used to use flavors, smells, and a yoga move or two to keep my sanity in the office. You can do it!

brown robin said...

"add" was supposed to come after "I might...". Long day. Good one, for the most part. But, too long to write coherently...

elle said...

Great workspace, Cheryl. Encourages me to continue to de-clutter mine. I like the way you KISS! Simple style is way better than complex clutter. And if you can't be where ya wanna be then make where you are- better! Elle

Mary said...

Hello, I have just stumbled upon your blog. Love your office.Oh.......if only my home office looked as colorful as yours. Kudos for colorizing your space.

Jenny said...

I am feeling you right down to my toes. That is how I felt at my office job. Of course, I am wishing my current office looked like that! It's wonderful to have all that inspiration and family around you. Honestly, that is where I got my inspirations - at the office when I should have been focusing on work!