04 June, 2009

Heritage Park Quilt Show

As promised, here is a report about the Heritage Park quilt show.  I managed to get a very fast tour in last Saturday.  Hubby graciously let me escape the backyard mess and the girls for a couple of hours alone, surrounded by history and quilts.  Peace.

Heritage Park is a historical village that demonstrates life on the Prairies and in the Calgary area. For the quilt show they display the quilts throughout the park - in tents on the grass, in the different homes and buildings, and even on the buildings and fences.  Wandering through the park you can see the park entertainment, visit the buildings, and enjoy the quilts.

To be honest, I didn't find much of inspiration in the show. In fact, the day confirmed that I really don't have a traditional bent for quilting, not at all. I can appreciate craftsmanship and good use of colour, but earth tones and traditional piecing kind of bore me.  Sorry to those who love it.  I'm sure my stuff is too much for some people as well. To each their own.

Here is the biggest building on site - the Wainwright Hotel.  I love how they hang the quilts from the verandas.  If you look closely, you can see my Tuesday Night Quilt hanging on the lower veranda.  The next picture shows it better.

See, there it is, hung randomly by that crane.  It doesn't seem like there is much thought put in to the relation of quilts from one to the next.  They do have 500 quilts to show after all.

Here is my black and white quilt.  Honestly, I was a little disappointed with the display of this one.  I didn't mind that it was inside a building, but folded in half and hanging over a counter? You certainly lose the impact.  Oh well.

Other than the fact that they hung this one the wrong way (see the original here), I thought it kind of looked neat on the washing line.  This building is actually the Chinese Laundry.  My black and white quilt was at the front of the building, and this was in one of the back display rooms.
Is it just me, or does this quilt look out of place in a replica turn of the century hospital?

This is a pretty traditional quilt.  Despite what I said above, I liked this one, especially the quilting.  Mostly the quilting.

My picture doesn't do this quilt justice.  The use of fabric and colour was amazing - the quilt was luminous.

I'm showing a close-up of this one.  These are actually square blocks, can you tell?  If anyone has seen something like this elsewhere, please let me know.  Otherwise I'll be studying the photo to figure it out, a lot.

The front of this quilt was nice, but I loved the back!  Those are gorgeous fabrics, but there was no note as to what they were.  They were ridiculously vivid.  The front had fabric with elephants and hindu gods, so I'm almost wondering if it was an Indian cotton?

Under the category of "why didn't I think of that?" comes this monster quilt.  So, so cool.  And the detailed quilting was phenomenal.

Here it is on the line behind the school, with some other kids quilts.

Heritage Park also has a number of vintage quilts in the Park's collection.  Isn't this one gorgeous?  I can't go anywhere without finding circles!

By far, this was my favourite of the day.  It is too bad the shade is dappled because it takes away from the luminosity of the quilt.  Interestingly, this quilt is made up of the same block, repeated.  At first glance it looks improv, but it isn't.  Unfortunately, there was no detail on the construction.  I can tell you that it is a lot of small pieces!  Don't you love the colour gradation?

I just love this image this display the best out of any in the park.

This is a Bento Box, but the entire thing is done with Denyse Schmidt.  I'm sure there are some of you out there who will love this, I took the photo just for you.

Oh, and in case you are wondering why I didn't share the artists or names of the quilts it's because the program has already been recycled.  Oops, sorry.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you got out on your own! the peace of quilts :)

At least your modern bent has been confirmed! I had the same thoughts when I walked through - I passed by many (probably amazing) quilts because I didn't enjoy the colors or traditional way of things too.

That green improv-like quilt is amazing, and huge!

Thanks for sharing your pics :)

jovaliquilts said...

Thanks for the trip to the quilt show! I've never seen quilts displayed like that, very neat.

nanann said...

Thanks for sharing. by the way, totally know the monster quilt -- and have the pattern. it is from a local-to-me designer: Sue Garman (in case you ever want to google and find the pattern yourself).

I've always wanted to use some of her monster designs and some of my own.

Juls said...

wow!! all I can think about is how many hundreds of yards were used to make the quilts in the show, and how many patient husbands must be proud of their wives accomplishments. Congrats on showing so many this time! You've got me inspired to enter a show next year, or maybe even the fair this year :)

Christina said...

It is a shame that they displayed your quilt inside so poorly! Thanks for the last shot it is really eyecatching! How exciting to have so many of your quilts in the show!

brown robin said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I love to see quilt shows through people's blogs. I know what you mean about the more traditional works. It made me cringe to see your black and white so terribly displayed. That just isn't appropriate at a show. I've never seen that done before. Your work is fantastic.... hands down...FANTASTIC! You are one of the most inspired quilters I have ever known. No question.

Mishkat said...

This was a funny post - but I'm sorry about the some of the ways you quilts were displayed. I did like the clothesline, but I completely agree that that particular quilt looks very weird in a replica turn of the century hospital.

And your favorite green quilt is beautiful, but I can't believe it uses a block pattern! (I would never have the patience for that!) Gwen Marston writes about a similar situation in "Liberated Quilting" - one of her students made what looked like a "liberated" log cabin from a template.

Victoria said...

That is the most unusual quilt show display I have ever seen! Happy that you got out on a beautiful day to take it all in, and thanks for sharing. Very fun to see!

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures of the show. I can identify with how you felt! Although I can totally appreciate the work and craftsmanship that has gone into some quilts, a lot of quilts just don't appeal. The vintage circle quilt looks amazing though!

Amanda Jean said...

thanks for sharing all the photos of the show! it's so fun to see them all. see, i differ from you in the fact that traditional quilts-even done in traditional colors-are sometimes some of my favorite ones.

Unknown said...

Great job with the camera!

insurance quotes said...

I love to see quilt shows through people's blogs. Thanks for sharing your pictures of the show.