25 April, 2009

Key Limes

The latest addition to our family arrived on Wednesday.  My sister had her first baby, a chubby little boy named Cain.  I am so behind on the quilt!  This is the start of it.  The browns and yellows on the left are the start of the triangle blocks that will be the background.  I started off thinking I would make a whole bunch of half-square triangles, but it didn't seem right.  When your quilt is inspired by key lime pie the half-square triangles seemed odd.  So I cut them into rectangles to make narrow, right-angle triangles.  And the greens will become... wait for it... appliqued circles.  Hey, it's for the key limes!

Yup, quilts inspired by food.  It was only a matter of time.

In truth, it is also a reminder of a time as a family in Mexico at Christmas.  My sister and I rekindled our relationship there and I thought this quilt would serve as a sweet reminder of us putting the past behind us and focusing on the future.  Oh, and the baby's room is yellow.  

5 comments:

jacquie said...

key lime pie....now that's an inspiration i can relate to. congrats on the new addition to the family!

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

fun colour combo!! can't wait to see it all done!

Unknown said...

congrats to your sister :) Love the fabrics you have pulled out there!

Jessica said...

Those fabrics are great!!! I can't wait to see sweet Cain's quilt!

Amanda Jean said...

i can't wait to see the quilt! the color palette is wonderful.