01 December, 2008

Tragedy

It was a sad day in the kitchen a few weeks ago. With an accidental bump of my wrist while turning on the oven I also turned on a burner on the stove. To maximum. Dinner was cooking away in the oven, and I may have had rice on another burner. We could smell the burning, we opened a window (one day we'll have a hood fan), and we checked inside the oven for crusty bits maybe burning on the dirty floor. Did we drop something on a burner? After about twenty minutes I finally noticed the smoke rising up from the cookie sheet.

Dammit. Dammit. Dammit.

This was the cookie sheet and Silpat Hubby bought me to avoid buying me a new oven. I was sick of burning cookies on my old cookie sheets and I blamed the oven. So he bought me these instead. I have to say that it really helped. I still wish I had a new oven, but I settled for buying two new cookie sheets and Silpats last week. Just in time for christmas baking.

4 comments:

Dana McCauley said...

Bummer! Things like that happen to everyone but usually the burner is just on all by itself. What a shame about your good baking stuff!

Lindsay said...

Hi I just found your blog. I feel bad about your silpat mats. But on a brighter note - thank you thank you thank you for the mac and cheese recipe a few posts back. Its so good and satisfying! And the perfect use for that leftover pumpkin in my freezer!

Aimée said...

Bummer indeed. Sounds like something I would do.

hanne said...

That is frustrating, for sure. When I say I hate it when things like that happen, you can be sure I'm empathizing, as I've ruined far too much cookware over the years. I'm sure your Christmas baking will be wonderful, though!